Pretzel Rolls

Deb

this one is Rip's fault, I have been thinking about the pretzel dogs he did a few weeks ago. Every once in awhile I try making pretzels, I have never done one that I am 100% happy with and probably never will find the ultimate because I don't want to play with lye:eek: This recipe is the best that I have found so far, I wish I had shaped a few into pretzels and not done them all as rolls.....

mixed up the dough this morning, let rise for about an hour, cut into pieces and shape into rolls (or pretzels if you want), cover with plastic wrap and into the fridge for a few hours (you can go longer, the longer the go the better the flavor is going to develop)
photo-45-2.jpg

get the oven (or grill , my heat source of choice) ready . Boil 4 qts of water and gradually add 1/3 cup of baking soda into the water - it bubbles up
photo-46-2.jpg

turn it down to a simmer
drop the rolls/pretzels into the water for 15-20 seconds per side, take out with slotted spoon and onto the baking sheet , sprinkle with kosher salt
bake at 350 degrees
photo-47-2.jpg

little lunch - while it was still hot I added some ham & cheese
photo-48-2.jpg

ACW3

Really nice, Deb! They look great. If my wife sees this post, I will be forced to try to duplicate those rolls. She buys pretzel rolls whenever she sees them.

Art

Hobbit

Deb, I have made pretzels before but never knew about adding baking soda to the water. What does the baking soda do? Your pretzel rolls are a great idea, will have to try a few next time.

Deb

Deb, I have made pretzels before but never knew about adding baking soda to the water. What does the baking soda do? Your pretzel rolls are a great idea, will have to try a few next time.

I think it helps with the color and texture. The crust doesn't have the really chewy texture but it's the closest I have been. I'm sure using lye would work but I don't want to mess around with it.

After sitting for a day they have softened up some but nothing a few minutes in an oven won't fix. I think that next batch I make I will slightly underbake them and store them inthe freezer so that we can take them out as we want them and finish off the baking.

TrickyDick

Yummy! I made some pretzels today. Last I tried I had the dough wrong (pizza dough) was close but no cigar. Then I stumbled onto this website as part of research into one of my other hobbies (homebrewing). The results are good, but I'd have preferred a longer lye soak than a quick dip in, dip out. The lye or baking soda denatures the proteins in the dough at its surface from what I understand, and during baking is what makes it brown up all crispy like. Lye is more powerful of a base, and thus has a more dramatic effect that baking soda will.
Anyway, this is a pretty good step-by-step guide. I didn't make the rolls, but darn they look great!
Brezels and other Laugengebäck - German brewing and more
Ill post a photo later - seems the apple photostream from phone to macbook isn't quite like they show in the commercials.
Next time I make them, I will try freezing one just before oven time and find out if that is a viable pre-make option.

Anyone got a great mustard horseradish dip, for pretzels? That's how I stumbled on this old post - searching for pretzel.

TD

Top Bottom