Fat Cap

squirtthecat

For butts, I like to do them untrimmed and fat side down. I like the extra surface area for bark formation. I find that during the overnight cook, the thick fat melts away and I don't have as much to deal with when I pull. Briskets, I do weird... Fat side down for a 2+ hour smoke, then flipped into a pan w/ a tasty 'cowboy braise' (hint: It's got Guinness, coffee and pickled Jalapenos in it) I picked up on another forum. Fat side up for the overnight ride.

Bear

No trimmin'

Fat cap up!

I let my wife pick up some butts for me once, she came home and said, "I found some nice lean ones".

Worst butts that I've ever cooked.

Fat is moisture. Lean is dry.

CarterQ

To me you can never has enough fat and it's gotta be up, keeps the meat moist and whatever doesn't render down can easily be removed during pulling. I'm with Bear "lean" is a dirty word when talking about pork butts.

Fat cap up. That way it doesn't stick to the grates. No other reason. Did a test with one up and one down. No difference in moisture, texture or taste. If I cook in a drum though, I do fat cap down to protect from the direct heat.

Pokey

I like to cross cut the fat cap to allow the rub to penetrate the meat a little better when it sits overnight before cooking. The picture of fat running down the sides of the meat as the cap melts is exactly what I'd like to think is happening as it's cooking low and slow. I'm not doubting Bigmista's tests, but I guess if I've got to have a reason for picking one way over the other, that's it.

IRMV

sparky

i have done 12 pork butts with the fat cap up. not anymore. looking for more bark. can't cook another one for a month or the wife and kids will hide my pellets. lol. i am going to raley's today and get a small one to put on after the wife goes to bed. no injection and plowboys baby...

Phrett Bender

I do fat cap down. More bark, no sticking, etc. I don't buy the fat drips into or through the meat if fat cap is up. If fat does penetrate through the meat, then fat cap down holds the rendered fat from inside the meat where it should stay, inside.

TentHunter

First of all, I'm the one who needs the fat trimmed off!

Other than that, the only trimming I normally ever do is to the brisket. I cut out some of the thick fat that separates the point & flat and hit that area with Mustard & Rub. Fat cap is normally left alone, unless I feel a really hard fat deposit and that gets trimmed sparingly.

Otherwise the fat is left on everything else (including me).

Re: Fat cap up or down: Fat cap up for me please!

jimsbarbecue

I am fat cap down. Like Bigmista I do it for heat sheild and like phrett I don't think the fat goes throught the meat. We also don't trim until after the cook.

KyNola

I used to NEVER trim the fat cap on a butt but picked up an alternative on another forum. Trim the fat cap, slather the butt with molasses and then apply your favorite rub. I still place them with the side that had the fat cap up. Forms a GREAT bark and the meat is still plenty moist and I don't have to deal with the fat that is under the bark if the fat cap is left intact. Try a combo of the MAK chipotle rub and the MAK sweet rub on the molasses.

HoDeDo

I ditch the fat cap... I like that precious surface area for rub and smoke penetration! Butts are typically fatty enough, they don't need the cap to stay moist. Briskets, if they are quality cuts have fat marbled as well... and can survive without the fat cap. I always inject to hedge my bet on the briskets... but all that extra bark is worth the extra trimming IMHO. :) Neil can tell you he about fell over watching me trim out a brisket LOL

Candy Sue

I ditch the fat cap... I like that precious surface area for rub and smoke penetration! Butts are typically fatty enough, they don't need the cap to stay moist. Briskets, if they are quality cuts have fat marbled as well... and can survive without the fat cap. I always inject to hedge my bet on the briskets... but all that extra bark is worth the extra trimming IMHO. :) Neil can tell you he about fell over watching me trim out a brisket LOL

What Andy says rules! Where there's fat there ain't no smoke ring.

Top Bottom