Anybody want some free Big Poppa Bucks? Enter the contest!

Big Poppa

Administrator
This weeks contest is the same as last weeks!

Lee see some butt kickin cooks!

First place $25 store credit to Big Poppa Smokers the only company that loves you. hahaha

second $15 Store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

Third $10 bucks store credit to Big Poppa SMokers

Everybody else gets 5 dollar credit!

TentHunter

Allright, we've got a few new grills that have been delivered this past week, so I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of great entries this weekend!

squirtthecat

Paducah Hot Wings

Just some baseball watchin' snacks.

3 pounds of wings.

IMGP6386.JPG

Starnes HOT sauce, some Jan's rub and CT for glue.

IMGP6383.JPG

Into the Reveo.

IMGP6389.JPG

Rumble tumble.

IMGP6392.JPG

Into the MAK.

IMGP6395.JPG

IMGP6398.JPG

Fire in the hole!

IMGP6400.JPG

Almost there.

IMGP6404.JPG

Dig in!

IMGP6407.JPG

Last edited:

Chili Head

Jalapeño cheese burgers with crispy cheese skirts.

Fired up the MAK to make some burgers and thought burgers with skirts would hit the spot.

Started off with some 90/10 hamburger with Big Poppas seasoned garlic salt.

46e1ad20-b678-58e5.jpg

Ran the MAK up to 450 and pre heated the grill grate and an iron skillet. Tossed in a couple handfuls of fries as well.

On goes the burgers.

46e1ad20-b796-f0e7.jpg

Ok the fries are done so it's time to add some cheese to the burgers.
I moved a burger to the preheated skillet and added a hand fill of cheese and some jalapeños. Add some crushed ice and a foil tent and let the cheese steam and melt.

46e1ad20-baea-37d3.jpg

46e1ad20-bafa-6433.jpg

Wait until the edges of the cheese develops a crust and it's ready!

46e1ad20-bb5e-3f1e.jpg

Ready to eat!

46e1ad20-bc8c-e14e.jpg

There's something about crispy cheese that just makes you ask for more :D
It's been said that bacon is the crack of the food world. Crispy cheese has to be a very close second! :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smoker pete

Chicken Thighs Italiano

Marinaded fresh Foster Farms Chicken Thighs with Fat Free Italian Salad Dressing for 2 hours. Gotta watch my figure!! :rolleyes: Seasoned the Chicken Thighs with Montreal Chicken Seasoning.

Thighs1.jpg

Preheated the MAK 2 Star to 325ºF using Hickory pellets.

Thighs2.jpg

Took an hour and 15 minutes at 325ºF for the Chicken Thighs to reach an Internal Temperature of 180ºF.

Thighs3.jpg

Rested under a foil tent for 15 minutes

Thighs4.jpg

The money $shot ... Chicken Thighs Italiano, portion of rice, Chicken Gravy and sides of steamed Broccoli and Brussel Sprouts ... Bon Appétit

Thighs5.jpg

sparky

guess what i'm doing.

PA140062.jpg

onto #63 @ 275º

PA140063.jpg

a little flip and spray.

PA140067.jpg

some FL magic going on.

PA140068.jpg

oh man. those look so good.

PA140077.jpg

nice smoke ring. these were so good.

PA140082.jpg

HogSmoker

T-Bone

100_0623.jpg

T-Bone Baked Taters and couple and sweet taters for supper
100_0620.jpg

Season up the beans
100_0625.jpg
Couple T's on the searing grate.. one wants it rare couple wants them medium Wife wants hers DONE no red she said.
100_0626.jpg

MAKS on 450 like the book says
100_0627.jpg

Beans are done after 1 hr @ 350*
100_0629.jpg

T-Bone corn on the cob a salad bake tater I'm diving in!
100_0630.jpg

Someone must of liked their steak !

Chili Head

Grilled Crappie Two Ways with Grilled Asparagus, Tomato and Goat Cheese Salad

Here's tonights ingredients for the parmesan crappie and the dry rubbed crappie.

012-2.jpg

First off I grilled the veggies for the salad.

018-2.jpg

While the asparagus and tomatoes were cooking I got the ingredients ready for the parmesan crappie.

In a bowl I mixed the following ingredients and spread it over three of the fillets.

1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 mayonnaise
2 TB lemon juice
1 TB Butter
1 minced garlic clove
1 ts minced basil
1/2 ts of old bay seasoning

016-2.jpg

019-2.jpg

The ingredients I used for the other fillets were:

1/4 ts of garlic powder
1/4 ts of onion powder
1/4 ts of paprika
3 TB butter
2 minced garlic cloves
1 TS chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

In a bowl I mixed the dry seasonings and sprinkled it over the fish. In a sauce pan I melted the butter and then added the minced garlic and parsley.

017-2.jpg

46e1ad20-58db-aeea.jpg

continued

Last edited:

Chili Head

Once the asparagus and tomatoes were done it was time to put the salad together.

In a bowl combine the asparagus, tomatoes, sliced onion and garlic. Drizzle with EVOO and add 1 TB of balsamic vinegar and toss it. Add a little basil and it's done!

023-1.jpg

Time to cook some fish!

First up was the parmesan crappie. Burning apple and cherry pellets I pre heated the MAK to 450º .

024-2.jpg

Once the parmesan fillets were done the seasoned fillets took their turn in the MAK. I started these flesh side down and then flipped them over after about 3 minutes. Once flipped I brushed them with the oil, butter and garlic mixture.

026-2.jpg

Here's the money shot!

We have a fillet of parmesan and a fillet of the dry seasoned fish with a side of the asparagus and tomato salad with goat cheese. A couple slices of lemon to squeeze on the fish as well.

033-1.jpg

031-1.jpg

Next up..you guessed it! DESSERT!

Chili Head

Mini Cheese Cakes with Strawberry and Cherry topping and Toffee with Whipped Cream Cheese Cakes.

004-2.jpg

This is so easy there's no reason not to try it!

Take 2 8oz packages of cream cheese, 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 ts of vanilla extract, vanilla waffers and 2 eggs.

Place a vanilla waffer in a baking cup and mix your other ingredients in a bowl.

Fill some cups with the plain mixture then add some of the toffee to the remaining mixture.

007-2.jpg

008-3.jpg

009-2.jpg

I baked these at 350º burning apple and cherry pellets for 15 minutes.

010-2.jpg

We have cherry on the left, toffee in the center and strawberry on the right.

034-1.jpg

These turned out great considering I've never made cheese cake until today :p

The entire meal was just perfect. The fish turned out nice and flakey not dry in the slightest bit. The salad was very light and complimented the fish perfectly.
The dessert.. who dosent like cheese cake??!

Enjoy!

bflodan

Balsamic-Fig Glazed, Pear Topped Chicken Breast

Bought some fresh pears and wanted to try something a little different. Saw BP's post with the Goat Cheese and I wanted to incorporate a little of that.. Wish I had taken a few more pics but had alot going on here...

I took 3 Pears and cut them in half, took some Goat Cheese and mixed with a little Thyme and fresh Garlic.. Put about 1 tablespoon of the mixture into each pear.. I pureed some Chicken Broth, Dried Figs, Balsamic and some Sugar until smooth and then strained..

001-14.jpg

Poured some mixture into the bottem of a baking dish and then placed some bonless skinless Chicken Breast and then topped with the Pears and Cheese... Drizzled with some more of the Balsamic mixture..Onto the MAK at 375 for about 50min along with some fresh Carrots in another dish...

002-12.jpg

Served up!! Was excellent, the Pear, Goat Cheese and Balsamic worked great together.. Only wish I had saved some of the leftover Balsamic for a little more drizzle but otherwise was fantastic!!

007-17.jpg

Rip

Smoked Wings Win!

Sitting on the couch Saturday...my daughter says we need to have hot wings for dinner...you know, football games and all. As some of you may remember I did a deep fried vs. smoked hot wing shootout last month and although the smoked wings won, the dissenters were my wife and daughters. Not to be deterred from smoking greatness, I told her I didn't want to mess with the fryer, but was willing to make smoked hot wings...(sometimes ya gotta put your foot down, right Sparky?)

Off to the store to get chicken...need some more jalapeño cheddar too.

Spatchcocked a chicken, EVOO (out of SOW :( ), Desert Gold, chili powder, and smoked habanero/cayenne mix. Then put the wings in a baggie with more of the same, plus some Little Louies. Shake and the back in the fridge to get happy.

Meanwhile the jalapeño cheddar went in to the warming drawer on smoke.
IMG_2636sm.jpg

After about 30 minutes I added the chicken, still on smoke.
IMG_2637sm.jpg

After another 30 minutes I pulled the cheese and bumped the MAK to 250. When the breast hit IT 130 I bumped up to 300. At 150 I bumped to 350. At 165 I pulled the whole chicken and set the MAK to 400.
IMG_2640sm.jpg

Meanwhile I had been simmering Franks Red Hot sauce, butter, and smoked habanero/cayenne. After another 10 minutes or so the wings were ready to pull and into the sauce.
IMG_2639sm.jpg

IMG_2642sm.jpg

The chicken was cut up and dinner was ready!
IMG_2644sm.jpg

My wife's plate (mine was mostly wings with a little salad), there was even milk somewhere...
IMG_2648sm.jpg

The verdict? The higher temps at the end of the cook and the extra 10-15 minutes did it, the skin and mouth feel of the wings were very similar to deep fried, but with extra smokey goodness! Everyone agreed they were even better than the best deep fried I've made!! And the meat was still extremely tender. Yeah the spatchcocked was pretty good too.

Extra Credit:
Last week I smoked a bone-in pork butt. Nancy had me save the bone to make "ham" and bean soup...why not now? (lunch tomorrow!) So the bone, a pound of left over pulled pork, pinto beans, water, Desert Gold, and Little Louies w/Pepper were placed in the crockpot, hours later, hmmm mmmm!
IMG_2649sm.jpg

This one is a keeper!

Last edited:

Duke

Not an entrée but an appetizer

Not an entrée but an appetizer

Stuff jalapeno, yellow and red peppers some with cream cheese cheddar cheese / sausage and wrapped with bacon.
Smoked at 225 degrees for 25 minutes, all said excellent.
The most telling was none was left.

For some reason I can't upload pictures.

I have tried again and it takes forever and no pictures get uploaded, just the circling arrow.

I do not know what is wrong, I have done it in the past.

And or how do post the large pictures in the body of the posting?

Last edited:

FLBentRider

Chocolate Flank Steak

I saw this on TV (Paula Deen), I had all the ingredients so I had to try it!

Marinade:

4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Pinch ground black pepper
2 pounds flank steak

2 pounds of flank steak is bareley an appetizer for a family of 6, so I doubled the marinade. I had 4 flank steaks from Sams Club:
DSC_1437.jpg

Mixed up the marinade:
DSC_1439.jpg

Bagged for a rest in the fridge:
DSC_1440.jpg

I think they were in there about 3 hours.

I set the MAK on HIGH, removed the flame zone cover and installed grill grates:
DSC_1441.jpg

I turned them at about the 6 minute mark, and continued to cook until the IT was ~128-130
DSC_1442.jpg

Resting:
DSC_1443.jpg

Sliced:
DSC_1444.jpg

DSC_1445.jpg

Plated
DSC_1446.jpg

I love my Pellet Boss!!!!

I know I am no match for the posts this weekend, but need to post anyway.

Here was the dilemma....My wife wanted spatchcock chicken, but my daughter had a late afternoon soccer game. If I waited until the game was over, we would have eaten very late. If I cooked the chicken the normal way I cook spatchcock chicken, it would be way overdone by the time I got back from the game.

Pellet Boss to the rescue!!!

IMG_3283.jpg

First, I seasoned the spatchcock chicken with MAK Bird Rub and BP's Desert Gold. Then on to the MAK.

IMG_3267.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

Then I programmed the Pellet Boss to SMOKE for 45 min, then ramp up to 325°F until it reached an IT of 165°F, then return to SMOKE until I got home. I am getting much better at timing now. When I returned home, the IT was 157°F. Shortly the temp returned to SMOKE, and sure enough the IT was reading 165°F! How cool is that! This thing is amazing :D.

IMG_3270.jpg

While the bird was resting, I cranked up the MAK to 400°F. I seasoned some asparagus with Annie's EVOO with garlic and BP's Desert Gold. On to the MAK:

IMG_3271.jpg

All plated up (it was actually better than the last time I cooked it):

IMG_3272.jpg

Decided to finish the night off with Cobbler. Used Carter's cobbler recipe, but used raspberries.

IMG_3273.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

I have tried this recipe with both blueberries and raspberries now. I think I prefer the blueberries as the raspberries were very tart. Wife likes the raspberries better. Makes the decision a little more difficult next time :confused:

TentHunter

OK, Another great week of fine entries.

I hate not commenting on all of the cooks, but my wife has a medical test/procedure today, so I need to get right to it.

Third place is always the hardest it seems, because there's always so many good things to from which to choose! :( So, I wanted to at least mention the first runner up. NorCal Smoker - A great simple cook. Imagine coming home to a spatchcock chicken ready to be eaten. Great report on the Pellet Boss - Thanks! And the Raspberry Cobbler - YUM!!!

Third Place: Rip -
After looking at that plate full of hot wings, I found myself wanting to lick the hot sauce off of my fingers. Great use of the leftover pork & bone. I want a bowlful of that! :)

Second Place: bflodan - Dan I'm a sucker for rustic dishes and those Fig Glazed Pear Topped Chicken with the goat cheese did not disappoint. I will be trying that dish soon!

First Place: Chili Head -
That burger with the pile of cheese was amazing but Crappie happens to be one of my favorite fresh water fish and what you did with it was simply amazing. The Grilled Asparagus & tomato salad looked equally good. That plated shot made me want to reach through my computer screen. Then you topped the whole cook off with some cheesecakes. Well Done!

TentHunter

What the heck, I have a few more minutes before we need to leave so here's a few more observations:

Hog Smoker - It's hard to beat a steak dinner cooked at home. Now, tell us more about that dish of beans. They look really good!

Squirt - Forget the Baseball watching, just pass me a plate of those wings.

FLBentRider - Once again you have come up with another new flavor idea for us to try and you make it look so delicious. Chocolate & Ancho Chili (Dried Poblanos) two great classic flavors from Mexico/South America. I can only imagine how good that tasted.

Sparky - You really are a rib cooking machine! :)

Smoker Pete - Those thighs look simply delicious. You watch your figure... I'll eat the chicken!

Duke - The appetizers sound great. Hopefully you'll be able to get pics uploaded so we can see how they turned out.

Top Bottom