Chocolate Flank Steak

FLBentRider

I saw this on TV (Paula Deen), I had all the ingredients so I had to try it!

Marinade:

4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Pinch ground black pepper
2 pounds flank steak

2 pounds of flank steak is bareley an appetizer for a family of 6, so I doubled the marinade. I had 4 flank steaks from Sams Club:
DSC_1437.jpg

Mixed up the marinade:
DSC_1439.jpg

Bagged for a rest in the fridge:
DSC_1440.jpg

I think they were in there about 3 hours.

I set the MAK on HIGH, removed the flame zone cover and installed grill grates:
DSC_1441.jpg

I turned them at about the 6 minute mark, and continued to cook until the IT was ~128-130
DSC_1442.jpg

Resting:
DSC_1443.jpg

Sliced:
DSC_1444.jpg

DSC_1445.jpg

Plated
DSC_1446.jpg

bflodan

Looks great...My wife doesnt eat red meat but I may be able to convince her to if it has chocalte in it...I will try!!

ACW3

FLBR,
It is amazing what catches one's attention. The mere mention of CHOCOLATE starts the juices flowing. I just happen to have several flank steaks in the freezer. And, I am pretty sure I have all the necessary ingredients in the pantry. Might have to try this soon.

Art

FLBentRider

It was great. I will definitely keep that recipe around. I am going to figure out how to make a dry rub with the same flavors.

sparky

It was great. I will definitely keep that recipe around. I am going to figure out how to make a dry rub with the same flavors.

could ya taste the chocolate? when you figured out a dry rub w/ the same flavors let me know. grill food and chocolate sound great to me. nice cook bent. :)

Deb

Looks good, I might need to try this

You can buy a vinegar powder to use for the rub.

FLBentRider

could ya taste the chocolate? when you figured out a dry rub w/ the same flavors let me know. grill food and chocolate sound great to me. nice cook bent. :)

You could Definitely taste it. Chocolate - more like cocoa (unsweetened) - the flavor profile was:
beef, cocoa, cumin, chili powder (I didn't have ancho, subbed the "regular" stuff) not overly sweet, the sugar and the vinegar kind of balance each other out.

We will definitely use this recipe again. Everyone at the table said "make this again" - that does not always happen :rolleyes:

Chili Head

Nice cook bent! That gave me some ideas for the future.
Wish I could have tasted yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom