Wings Win!

Rip

Sitting on the couch Saturday...my daughter says we need to have hot wings for dinner...you know, football games and all. As some of you may remember I did a deep fried vs. smoked hot wing shootout last month and although the smoked wings won, the dissenters were my wife and daughters. Not to be deterred from smoking greatness, I told her I didn't want to mess with the fryer, but was willing to make smoked hot wings...(sometimes ya gotta put your foot down, right Sparky?)

Off to the store to get chicken...need some more jalapeño cheddar too.

Spatchcocked a chicken, EVOO (out of SOW :( ), Desert Gold, chili powder, and smoked habanero/cayenne mix. Then put the wings in a baggie with more of the same, plus some Little Louies. Shake and the back in the fridge to get happy.

Meanwhile the jalapeño cheddar went in to the warming drawer on smoke.
IMG_2636sm.jpg

After about 30 minutes I added the chicken, still on smoke.
IMG_2637sm.jpg

After another 30 minutes I pulled the cheese and bumped the MAK to 250. When the breast hit IT 130 I bumped up to 300. At 150 I bumped to 350. At 165 I pulled the whole chicken and set the MAK to 400.
IMG_2640sm.jpg

Meanwhile I had been simmering Franks Red Hot sauce, butter, and smoked habanero/cayenne. After another 10 minutes or so the wings were ready to pull and into the sauce.
IMG_2639sm.jpg

IMG_2642sm.jpg

The chicken was cut up and dinner was ready!
IMG_2644sm.jpg

My wife's plate (mine was mostly wings with a little salad), there was even milk somewhere...
IMG_2648sm.jpg

The verdict? The higher temps at the end of the cook and the extra 10-15 minutes did it, the skin and mouth feel of the wings were very similar to deep fried, but with extra smokey goodness! Everyone agreed they were even better than the best deep fried I've made!! And the meat was still extremely tender. Yeah the spatchcocked was pretty good too.

Extra Credit:
Last week I smoked a bone-in pork butt. Nancy had me save the bone to make "ham" and bean soup...why not now? (lunch tomorrow!) So the bone, a pound of left over pulled pork, pinto beans, water, Desert Gold, and Little Louies w/Pepper were placed in the crockpot, hours later, hmmm mmmm!
IMG_2649sm.jpg

This one is a keeper!

TentHunter

You make hot wing sauce the same way I do; Butter, Hot Sauce & some extra Red Pepper. Mmmmm-mmm!

Those wings definitely look finger-lickin' good!

I don't know which I want more a plate full of those wings or a bowlful of that soup!

sparky

(sometimes ya gotta put your foot down, right Sparky?)

lol, bet you don't say that to loud or when you wife is in the room. i always say, "i'm the boss of me". until my wife comes in. then its "yes dear, i would love to do whatever you want me to do".

Rip

lol, bet you don't say that to loud or when you wife is in the room. i always say, "i'm the boss of me". until my wife comes in. then its "yes dear, i would love to do whatever you want me to do".

You got that right Sparky! Fortunately I was talking to my daughter :)

Thanks everybody!

Top Bottom