Roasted butternut squash gnocchi with a Jack Daniel's cream sauce

Deb

Roasted butternut squash gnocchi with a Jack Daniel's cream sauce........

First up....... the gnocchi........ Roasted up some butternut squash early this afternoon
photo-49-1.jpg

pureed it in the food processor, mixed it up with some parmesan cheese, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt & pepper
photo-63.jpg

then added flour. Rolled out into ropes, cut , rolled onto a fork to get the grooves to hold the sauce, here they are ready to go into some boiling water....
photo-62.jpg

the sauce ingredients - shallot, garlic, butter, flour, chicken broth, cream, dried cranberries and the Jack Daniels...
melted the butter, added the flour, added the garlic & shallots, when they were happy added the chicken broth and Jack, cooked down until gravy like , added the cream and cranberries then reduced a little more. While that was happening cooked the gnocchi....
the gnocchi into the sauce to soak up some flavor
photo-55.jpg

Dinner........
with and without baby spinach....
photo-57.jpg

photo-59.jpg

I stole this from here Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Whiskey Cream Sauce, made it pretty much as written but added about 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries and a handful of baby spinach to half

sparky

this is a winner. i have never had gnocchi. i like the plate w/ spinach. it looks very tastey and healthy for ya too. like little squash potatoes w/ gravy. yummy. :)

ACW3

Deb,
Not only is this colorful, but it sounds great. I love reading what you have cooked lately. Having tasted a couple of your delights, I know this would be dynamite.

Art

Deb

this is a winner. i have never had gnocchi. :)

you need to find some good ones and try them. I was at a restaurant the other night that had potato gnocchi with a gruyere cheese sauce on the morsel section of their menu, they were sooooo good. The gnocchi were perfect......

I usually make potato ones with a tomato sauce. I think I was about 10 when my aunt first taught me how to roll them. She's gone now but I think about her everytime I make them :) .

Deb

Thanks everyone.

One thing I would do differently next time is to put the squash in cheesecloth and let drain for awhile. That way you can use less flour, the less flour the lighter the gnocchi will be. These were soft and hard to roll but I didn't dare put more flour into them. They were a little denser than I would have liked but still awesome.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Gnocchi....Bad Gnocchi is glue balls...Great Gnocchi is delightful...If you want to find out if your favorite Italian restaurant is any good....the Gnocchi are the litmus test.....These look wonderful....

Top Bottom