Traeger Question (lil tex) its getting too hot

chop

Hello,

I did some searching to see if this had already been asked but I could not find anything so I appoligize if this has been covered but I've got a new Traeger Lil Tex Elite and I did the burn in yesterday. No problems there, hit about 460 and held that for about an hour as recommended and today is the first smoke. I fired it up this morning and let it sit on smoke until I was sure pellets were lit and temp was climbing and then set the dial for 225. This is my issue- The grill shot right past 225 and was up in the 300's so I tried the 180 and smoke settings and the temp would not come down. Did I do something wrong here?

Thanks
Chop

Update: I reset the P setting on the digital control to P-5 and that helped quite a bit but I am still running about 25 degrees above the thermostat setting (e.g. 250 @ 225 degree setting) and there are some wild variations in temp when the auger kicks on ranging from 210-260.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
With the change in the p settings you are getting close. The traegers digital swings big time...at least it did on mine you have to sort of figure an average when cooking on it.....the temp drops and the controller dumps a bunch of pellets and then stops it and it gets raging and then repeats...

chop

Thanks for the replies and advice guys! The firebrick is a solid call and I'll look that up this week. The good news is that the cook was success and I am very pleased with the first pass results! Pictures to follow.
Chop

sparky

my traeger holds temps to + or - 10 degrees with my P setting on 3 to 5. i will try the fire brick idea on mine too. thanks.

firehouse_bbq

The fire brick will help alot. I find the traeger temp swings are much less when it is loaded up. Also make sure the wind is not getting into the exhaust.

I have a 8 year old Traeger 075 that holds temps within 10* of the digital, and within 10* left to right. The bottom is full of fire brick, and I added a piece of heavy guage steel to the stock heat deflector.

chop

So Cal I'm in Point Loma so just down the road a bit and a little cooler. Firehouse that is great to hear and I am going to search out some firebricks this weekend and I've got a pork tenderloin and bone in pork shoulder roast to try out!

Top Bottom