Deb's the Judge1 This weeks contest is on1

Big Poppa

Administrator
Here we go again...Time Flies when you are having fun

Halloween1 Lets do something haloweenish!

$25 dollar store credit to big poppa smokers for first

$15 dollar credit to big poppa smokers for second

$10 dollar credit to big poppa smokers for third

Trick or Treat ALl others get five bucks for entering

TentHunter

Halloweenish, now that should prove to be an interesting twist for this week's contest. I'm looking forward to this. ;)

sparky

Halloweenish, now that should prove to be an interesting twist for this week's contest. I'm looking forward to this. ;)

lol. i'm doing the same thing i always do on the weekends. ribs, butts, chicken, some form of sausage, maybe a fattie. i'm just having fun. sparky style. i could go to a pumpkin patch and bbq a pumpkin i guess. can ya do that? :cool:

Deb

lol. i'm doing the same thing i always do on the weekends. ribs, butts, chicken, some form of sausage, maybe a fattie. i'm just having fun. sparky style. i could go to a pumpkin patch and bbq a pumpkin i guess. can ya do that? :cool:

spark - of course you can bbq a pumpkin -- I threw one in last year, it later became pumpkin cheesecake
it's here
http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/debs-thanksgiving-thread-300/index2.html

I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries - it will be cool if I get to judge some halloweenish stuff

CarterQ

Roasted whole baby pumpkins

To answer Spark's question about smoking a pumpkin-

One of our favorite local restaurants does a killer stuffed pumpkin every fall and I have been wanting to try and recreate it at home for a nice fall appetizer.

First season up some chicken breasts
74a5252e.jpg

On the MAK set on "Smoke" until they hit about 160

a4ceb88a.jpg

Next take a few mini pumpkins and place them in a baking dish

ccb04a84.jpg

Cover in foil and on the MAK @325 for about 45 minutes

bb6c0cf5.jpg

While the pumpkins are cooking; mix diced chicken, sautéed onions, fresh chives, Jarlsberg cheese, Hot chili sauce, and pepper for the stuffing

5b7e65d5.jpg

1eb50b0f.jpg

Pumpkins are ready, let cool and then open the top and hollow out the seeds

60d7fd7b.jpg

b0a780cb.jpg

Fill each with the stuffing mixture

0656a5f0.jpg

Top each stuffed pumpkin off with heavy cream

4890ebce.jpg

Back on the MAK running at 350 for about 20 minutes

Last edited:

CarterQ

Roasted whole baby pumpkins part 2

Ready to go

9f401a39.jpg

c12449cd.jpg

These came out great, still not up to restaurant level yet, but I know how to fix that. The smoked chicken combined with the creamy cheese goes wonderfully with the soft pumpkin. This is a great first course and would work really well as a main course.

Last edited:

Chili Head

Cannibal cookies and the smoked meatloaf man.

The ingredients for tonights meal:

002-4.jpg

First I cut up some potatoes,carrots,onions,celery and garlic and put those in the MAK set on 360 burning hickory pellets.

013-3.jpg

Next up were the cannibals. A 10 minute run in the MAK at 360 was all it took to cook these.

014-5.jpg

016-5.jpg

Up next was to make the meatloaf man.

I used a pound each of ground beef and pork.
1 chopped onion
2 eggs
3/4 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of brown sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar
salt to taste
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs

003-4.jpg

004-4.jpg

015-4.jpg

The meatloaf man was put into the MAK for 45 minutes burning hickory pellets.

018-4.jpg

The cannibals like to eat bones dipped in blood so I made some of those from a italian bread recipie and those went into the MAK as well.

019-4.jpg

continued..

Chili Head

Everything is done and the cannibals are waiting for their meat!

032-2.jpg

I am too!!

035-2.jpg

I think I'll take the head with a side of bones and bloody garlic sauce to dip them in!
Potatoes and veggies with sliced tomatoes round out the meal.

036-1.jpg

042-2.jpg

continued..

squirtthecat

It's the Great PorkButt, Charlie Brown

Monday's office cafeteria menu.

blue%252520plate%252520special.jpg

Time to cook up a SCARY amount of pork butts! (68 pounds)

IMGP7051.JPG

Cue the Spooky MAK/Traeger combo.

20111028180252.jpg

Some Frighteningly good rub. (Salt Lick Clone and 2/3rds bottle of Williams Enhancer)

IMGP7054.JPG

A bit of downright Terrifyingly sticky Molasses.

IMGP7056.JPG

Load 'em up and rub 'em down.

IMGP7059.JPG

IMGP7063.JPG

Couple hours on 'Smoke' while the Cardinal's Game is on.

IMGP7067.JPG

Bump to 225° and head to bed while the smoked pork nightmares continue in the back yard..

Continued..

squirtthecat

It's the Great PorkButt, Charlie Brown continued

7AM check. Doesn't that bark just send chills down your spine??

IMGP7069.JPG

Traeger butts are done, wrapped and into the Cambro.

IMGP7073.JPG

I need the MAK for some poultry work, so I pile the MAK butts into the Traeger and top the hopper off.

IMGP7075.JPG

--

These 5 are done.

IMGP7100.JPG

And the Cambro is stuffed. I yanked 2 out to make room, so they are about to get pulled shortly.

IMGP7105.JPG

--

Ok, the first 3 are pulled. Here is 2 of them in a full steam table pan.

20111029125629.jpg

Love that Molasses bark..

20111029125648.jpg

Those are all stuffed in buckets in the fridge. Now, I still have to pull the other 5 in an hour or so..

--

And... We're done. Ended up with 38.5 pounds pulled pork after some quality control. ;)

Chillin' in the fridge for now. Some will be vacuum sealed for a buddy of mine, the rest will go to the office cafeteria lady for Monday's Pork Treat.

20111029161144.jpg

IMGP7072.JPG

sparky

saturday night ribs

well, it was a good cook but the end didn't turn out the way i thought. cooking ribs 5 ways more or less.

PA290001.jpg

da players...

PA290003.jpg

onto #63 @ 275º

PA290008.jpg

these were cooked dry. no FL. i wanted to taste the rubs just by themselves.

PA290039.jpg

i sliced one rib off of each rack. my favorite by far.....the molasses one w/ the butt rub on it. the molasses on the rib was great. i will be using molasses again. i like it. heres the icky part. i went to the garage to get a beer after having 5 ribs. when i came back in the house all the ribs where gone. what? my wife said my son came in saw the ribs got a ziploc bag, took all of them and left. in less then 1 minute. what the h#!!? i was upset. i asked my wife why he took them. she said he was going to a halloween party. like i care. :(

Last edited:

CarterQ

Spatchcocked game hens

Found some game hens in the freezer that needed to get cooked and decided to try them Spatchcocked on the MAK

2 Little birdies

b7a314d7.jpg

Spactchcocked

ee5a98dc.jpg

Hit them with some melted butter and Desert Gold

b3c52a80.jpg

Onto the MAK running at 225 on Oak for about an hour and half and then up to 425 to finish

e34f2d79.jpg

Season up some Asparagus with Annies Garlic EVOO and Desert Gold

c25f1c0d.jpg

Birds look done

8f09c70b.jpg

Asparagus on the grill

e4772d4d.jpg

Serve it all up with some rice and nice glass of Pinot Grigio

4f88b4d8.jpg

2a628edd.jpg

The hens came out great, nice and juicy with a great skin, this was a perfect simple dinner.

CarterQ

Apple Crisp

Needed a little Dessert tonight so I did a simple Apple Crisp

Sliced and peeled some Granny Smith apples with the handy dandy peeling coring machine

5411c97a.jpg

Placed in a greased glass dish

df4445ac.jpg

Make the crisp using flour, brown sugar, oats, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg

35b3bc9d.jpg

Over the top of the apples

03858a08.jpg

Onto the MAK @375

612d6610.jpg

Ready to go

0224d24c.jpg

Served up with some vanilla ice cream

d498c9f2.jpg

Simple goodness!

FLBentRider

Baby back ribs

This summer SquirttheCat gave me an "illinois gift box". I was looking for a (different) rub to use on ribs and remembered the box. It was "Riley's" all purpose.

Three Racks of Baby backs
DSC_1476.jpg

Rubbed up and smoke rolling.
DSC_1477.jpg

2 hours later
DSC_1478.jpg

Time for some of sparky's "Foil Love" with a twist
DSC_1479.jpg

I added a couple of glugs of Merlot to the foil

After a couple hours or so in the foil
DSC_1480.jpg

I poured the liquid contents of the foil into a sauce pot, ran it through a fat separator and brought it to a boil until the volume was reduced by half or so.

Done!
DSC_1482.jpg

DSC_1484.jpg

DSC_1486.jpg

The ribs were great and the sauce was awesome. A combination of rub, rib drippings, butter, butter, Brown sugar, Honey and red wine. Even the kids liked it.

bflodan

Stuffed Chicken Breast

I have gotten hooked lately on Goat Cheese and Chicken so thought I would try it another way... I used the idea BP had on here a little while back and suffed some bone in Breasts with an Herb Goat Cheese and then I served them atop of a Pear, Onion and Balsamic reduction..

Started with some fresh bone in Chicken Breasts, Herb Goat Cheese, Evoo, BPDG and BPSGS with pepper... I cut the ribs off the breasts, cut a pocket then stuffed with Goat Cheese...Rubbed with evoo then seasoned..

061-1.jpg

062-1.jpg

I cut up 1 onion and 2 pears and sauteed in evoo... I took about 3/4 cup Balsamic and boiled for about 10min to reduce.. Then added to onion and pear mixture along with a little salt...

064-2.jpg

066-2.jpg

Chicken onto the MAK at 275.. When the IT hit 140 I turned it up to 350 and added the balsamic mixture and an artichoke that I steamed and marinated in a balsamic vinagerette..

068-3.jpg

069-3.jpg

Served with some butter and garlic angel hair pasta...

070-2.jpg

I will be doing this one again!!! Really good!!

Top Bottom