Pain in the Neck Cajun Turkey

squirtthecat

I pinched a nerve or something in my shoulder/neck on Tuesday morning. Made for a truly unpleasant day/evening/night. So I stayed home yesterday with a heating pad draped over my shoulder. Rummaging through the fridge, we don't have much for dinner, so I dig a couple baby boulders out of the freezer to thaw in the sink.

Going K.I.S.S this time, so I just use Annie's Garlic EVOO and some Veron's cajun rub.

IMGP7156.JPG

I've got the 'flame zone' pan in the MAK, so I add my grill grates to tame some of the direct heat.

IMGP7157.JPG

Schmear/rub them up good. Loosening the netting a bit helps it come off later.

IMGP7158.JPG

I've got the MAK on 'smoke', but with that prototype flame zone pan in, most of the heat doesn't go anywhere near the internal temperature probe. The PelletBoss thinks it is running at 170°, while my Maverick probe says it is really 210° at the upper grate. I'll leave it there for an hour, then bump it to a simulated 250° to keep the smoke rolling nicely.

IMGP7161.JPG

Where is the CT you ask? I'm leaving it in the fridge this time... ;)

IMGP7154.JPG

--

About 4 hours in..

Getting some nice color. Tons of smoke. I've got the Boss set at 205°, and I'm reading 262° at the top grate.

IMGP7164.JPG

They are at 135°, so I'll go ahead and flip them over and let them ride.

--

And, we're done..

IMGP7171.JPG

Good stuff! Looking forward to a turkey sandwich for lunch..

squirtthecat

Looks great! You take them to about 165 internally or so?

I take them off of the smoker at 160° and put them in a pan with a few glugs of water. Wrap up tight and rest in the microwave for an hour or so - they'll coast up to near 165°. The moisture helps loosen the netting..

squirtthecat

Still hurts, but I came to work. Getting bored at home.

Sparky, I left the CT off to see if that what was blocking the smoke penetration... I think I found my answer.
Next time I'll mop late in the cook with the CT to get the pretty color/flavor.

squirtthecat

I picked up 2 more at WallyMart this week. Honeysuckle White. They are usually a couple bucks cheaper than the Butterball ones. (and just as good)

Top Bottom