First Pork Butt on #590: Cochinita Pibil

roburado

Well, it's been a while, but I'm back. October was a busy month. Work, a couple of out-of-town weddings (one on the West Coast and one on the East Coast), a conference in the Midwest, seeing BP's friend John Petrucci in concert, seeing BP's other friend Joe Bonamassa in concert, and sleep have kept me away.

When I caught up with John Petrucci, I told him I got a grill from BP. He told me he missed the smoked meats while being out on tour. You know what? So did I! Now, I'm back. I'm rehearsing for Thankgsgiving.

De Bebe and I have this idea that we're going to do a pulled pork taco bar for appetizers. We'll have the pulled pork, some condiments, different salsas, beans, etc., and we'll have our guests make their own tacos however they would like. So, I figured that I'd take some inspiration from Steve Raichlen and Rick Bayless with some Cochinita Pibil, and I figured that would be the one meat choice.

Last night, I got some achiote, Mexican oregano, black peppercorns, cumin seeds, cloves, and Mexican canela cinnamon, and I ground them up old school-style with a mortar and pestle. Let me tell you. I have never done that before, but the aromas were ridiculously amazing. I have never experienced such amazingly intense aromas from dried herbs and spices. This is the way to go, I'm thinking.

Then, I took those dry ingredients and mixed them up in a bowl. I added some freshly ground sea salt. All of that went into a blender with about a head of garlic, some lime juice, and some orange juice. Then, I took the paste and rubbed it on the Costco butts. They went into the refrigerator overnight, and here's what the bigger one looked like this morning.

DSC_0177.jpg

In the light of day, here are the two butts waiting for the grill to preheat to 400F.

DSC_0175.jpg

Into the grill and smoking for a couple of hours.

DSC_0176.jpg

Ready for foil and the Texas Crutch.

DSC_0174.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom