Is pit temp accurate to controller on 2*?

shelly

I use my current pellet grill mainly for low and slow, setting the controller to 225° and monitoring internal meat temp.

It takes my grill an hour to reach the 225° with the cold meat in it, at hour 2, it reads 235° and at hour 3 the pit temp is up to 245° and holds fairly well from there but sometimes reaches 250°. there is no more than about 10° variation side to side within the pit due to the heat distribution baffles I configured.

I would love a pellet grill that actually keeps the pit at the controller set temperature and was hoping that this would be true with the Mak 2* General.

Thanks.

Shelly

smoker pete

The MAK 1 and 2 Star both have the Award winning Pellet Boss which I believe will meet your needs. We both smoke/cook similarly. It takes me about 15 minutes for my MAK 2 Star to go from ON to a stable 225ºF. I always use my Remote Pellet Boss to monitor my cooks and can attest to the fact that the temp setting have small temperature swings.

You can get more info about the Pellet Boss by clicking on the link.

MAK DADDY

The MAK uses the thermocouple reading to adjust the fuel and fan speed to maintain the temperature vs. a timed sequence at a certain set temp. So if the grill were set at 225 and the TC read 250 the grill would prolong the adding of pellets to allow the temperature to drop back down. The opposite would be true if the grill was running colder than the set temperature. There are inevitably swings in temperature when pellets are added so an averaged out calculation is made to compensate both rising and falling temps to maintain set points. We try to stay at or slightly below the set point temperature to not overshoot/overcook.
Hope this helps answer your question.

HoDeDo

#1, I would always preheat the pit prior to putting the cold meat in... you want your racks, etc. warmed and ready to go, vs. trying to bring the pit to temp while cold meat is in it. Get pit to temp first, and that should help as well.

#2 I would say a pellet boss keeps temps closer than your oven thermostat in the house does. Plop a probe in your oven at 250 degrees and watch the swing it has. I think adjusting fuel and airflow gives you a tighter and more consistent temp in the pit.
You will see less swing in a pellet boss, I could almost guarantee it, unless your home oven is really, really high end. Mine isnt - just a plain old electric with convection element/fan. A std electric or gas without convection might shock you to see the variance you get....
You will wonder how you cooked for all these years :)

shelly

Thanks for the replies.

It would be nice to have a pit run as the controller is set.

the final product from my pg is great but I have to plan for the increases in temperature.

Thanks again for reaffirming that the Mak does maintain fairly close to its set temperature.

Shelly

JimmyDings

My 2 star hits 250 easily within 10 minutes and holds it very well.....I've only ever noticed a +\- 5 degree difference....if it falls to 245 she fires up and if it hits 255 fan seem to pick up and she levels off at 250 quick.

When I first started using it, it took longer because I was "cleaning" out all of the unused pellets.......so when I went to use it again, it had to reload itself. Bob from Mak explain it to me and since then life's good!
God what a great product!

Mr Hickory

The MAK regulates extremely well. There is a temp swing but if you set 225, 250, or even higher, it regulates within 10 degrees of that very consistently.

I have even used it at a steady 350 degrees, and it works perfect. The Pellet Boss is VERY good at what it does.

Top Bottom