Hickory Smoked Rack of Pork

smoker pete

Picked up a Swift Premium Rack of Pork from Costco to smoke with Hickory. My last Rack of Pork was dry cured for days and turned out great but wanted to Low and Slow Smoke/Cook this Rack at 225ºF to taste the results.

Rack1.jpg

Trimmed the fat and gray matter. Rubbed the Rack of Pork with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO for the glue and applied a liberal amount of Jan's Dry Rub. Tossed the Rack into the fridge for 2 hours.

Rack2.jpg

Scrubbed some baking Potatoes clean and set them aside to dry to be roasted in the Infra Red Char-Broil SRG. Right before cooking the potatoes I will rub them with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO and season them with Fagundes Seasoning.

Rack3.jpg

Preheated the MAK 2 Star to 225ºF using Hickory pellets. Estimated 4 hours at 225ºF for the Internal Temperature (IT) to reach 145ºF.

Rack4.jpg

Experience has shown that these Potatoes take 1½ hours on HIGH with Lid OPEN in the Char-Broil SRG to reach an IT of 210ºF. Used to use the fork test but cooking to a known IT works so much better!

Rack5.jpg

At 225ºF the MAK 2 Star rolls out some great smoke. My other option would be to use the SMOKE setting (~180ºF) and then bump the temp to finish the Rack of Pork but I found that 225ºF gives me the best of both worlds ... Ample Hickory Smoke and a high enough temp to cook the Rack in a timely fashion.

Rack6.jpg

Took just shy of 4 hours to go from an IT of 43ºF to 145ºF. Used to take Pork to an IT of 160ºF but am learning to pull it sooner. The Pork is cooked at 140ºF and even the directions on the Swift Premium Rack of Pork called to pull the Rack when the IT hit 145ºF. Found the Rack of Pork to be extremely moist and tender.

Rack7.jpg

The money $shot ... A serving of scrumptious Rack of Pork served with a Baked Potato and a side of steamed Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli ... Bon Appétit

Rack8.jpg

This Hickory Smoked Rack of Pork met all my expectations and showed me the benefits of cooking to an IT of 145ºF vs the age old standard of 160ºF. If you haven't cooked Pork to the new standards you don't know what you're missing !!

TentHunter

Not only does it look delicious, but this is a great report on cooking temp, smoke level and the new internal temp standards.

Thanks Pete!

Top Bottom