Just got our butts handed to us in Antioch

Big Poppa

Administrator
WE thought we had a decent cook but those blasted nor cal judges didnt agree 12th over all no call in chicken or brisket 10th ribs and 7th pork Oh well on to Vista next month!

Sorry things didn't go as well as hoped for. I wish I had known there was a comp in Antioch. I have never visited a comp and would like to see one. I am only a 15 min drive away. I guess I should pay a little more attention to what is going on in the world of bbq.

Chili Head

Well thats a bummer BP!
I'm guessing it's not really possible to taste the top finishers bbq to see what flavor profiles the judges liked that are in that area. But that changes from year to year too i bet..

Big Poppa

Administrator
No its what you get in bbq. There is a lot of sour grapes built into the system but I think it works fine. Take pork yesterday

one judge gave us 9 for appearance, 9 for taste, and 9 for tenderness, the next judge gave us a 7 for appearance, 6 for taste and 6 for tenderness. They throw out your lowest score but it still affects your score. Then take chicken. This is the problem...we had one guy give us a comment card "No smoke" he dinged us...but then one said that we looked deconstructed abd reconstructed (?_ and hammered us on appearance (the least weighted) ( I have a pic of the box but I never distribute those) At the American Royal that same chicken....maybe worse at the Roayl came in 4th. That same chicken is in the top 30 with only 16 comps. Do I think they missed it on the chicken? Yes. Did we deserve a low brisket score? Yes. It is just the luck of the tables.

It is also why I dont go to the award presentations. I like the process and come away with a good idea how well we did. Usually Im pretty close. I think that we had a fine cook and a lot of fun....had some challenges and overcame them and that's why I do it.

This rap is just to give you insights..we are fine. We also tip our hats to our friends that had better results. At the end of the year you end up pretty much where you belong and spend every wakng hour in the back of your mind figuring out how to slay this bbq dragon.

KimG SOW

How many teams were there?

Sorry to hear it didn't turn out better for you. Hang in there, I bet the next one will be better.

Top Bottom