A break from Pork

LarryF

Picked up a "round roast" from the store today. Its pretty lean. Don't really know what to do with it. I stabbed some holes on it and put a jar of marinated garlic I got from a local Greek place on it. Hopefully inspiration will hit me tomorrow. Or "please help". Lol.
a6fa0411-40aa-6d26.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

FLBentRider

That is the cut I make jerky nuggets from.

I have not cooked one whole.

You're right, they are pretty lean, but not all that tender. There is not a lot of connective tissue to break down either.

I'd probably cook it like you would a tri-tip or similar and slice thin across the grain to serve.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I don tthink I would cook it that way...it is just too tough and not enough fat torender...I think I would do someithing like a smoked pot roast.

squirtthecat

I've done Italian Beef (Chicago style) with those. Low and slow smoke to 135°, wrap tight and toss in the fridge overnight. Slice paper thin (I used my meat slicer) and plunk in some hot au jus to soak the next day.

sparky

throw some rub on it and smoke it for 2 hours > 225º until it hits 175º > boat it w/ some stock / foil > up heat to 240º & cook until meat hits 195º > rest in cambo for 1 - 3 hours > let the yumminess begin. :)

LarryF

Marinated over night. Threw on some salt, pepper, and cyanne.

LarryF

Think I am going to try foil boat method suggested by Sparks. More pics to come. Thanks all for you input.

LarryF

Turned the traeger down to smoke setting. Going to let it pick up up as much Hickory as it can for 3-4 hours. Then I am going to finish it off in the oven.

LarryF

Three hours of smoke. Headed into the oven at about 240 with a bath of beef broth and marinated garlic the foiled. Going to pull it when it hits 195.

LarryF

The camera on my HTC Thunderbolt is a 5 mp camera. You people regularly shame me with the clarity of your photography. I need to step up.

Top Bottom