Thanksgiving test cooks

Deb

I have been playing around with some recipes and doing some advance prep for Thankgiving this week/weekend...........

did a test turkey this morning that will become stock tomorrow - spatchcocked it last night, simple prep - poultry seasoning, thyme, salt , pepper (I was testing spatchcocking and timing)

not that exciting looking but .....
photo-71.jpg

yesterday I did some meatballs to add to some sauce, it's amazing the flavor that the smoked meatballs give the sauce when they have been simmered together
photo-62.jpg

did a test batch of a new cranberry sauce recipe - this one is cranberry-pear (my favorite, well maybe equally favorite with my cran-blueberry)

cranberries, pears, maple sugar, cinnamon, water and........
photo-51-2.jpg

my new secret cranberry sauce ingredient
photo-53-2.jpg

photo-55-2.jpg

then, the new stuff that needs the most work but I will have it dialed in by Thanksgiving (also the most exciting part of my weekend cooking) ............
to be continued ............

Deb

continued....

a couple weeks ago I went to VT with a friend and we took a class at the King Arthur Baking Education Center - it was 8 hours of Artisan Pastry and breads (recipes from this book Amazon.com: Baking Artisan Pastries and Breads: Sweet and Savory Baking for Breakfast, Brunch, and Beyond (9781592535644): Ciril Hitz: Books) It was an very intense, very cool day.

The instructor said several times that the first recipe we did from the book should not be croissants........ um, ok, I took that as a challenge:D Here's my first stab at croissants -- they are far from perfect but were pretty tasty.

Chocolate filled, chocolate croissants

the first challenge was finding european butter..... done....... here is a butter block (butter rolled out into parchment, it goes into the fridge to harden up)
photo-60.jpg

Here's the chocolate dough
photo-61.jpg

Here they start becoming one
photo-63.jpg

here they are after the folds (this is NOT what the dough is supposed to look like)
photo-67.jpg

even though it wasn't right i decided to keep going
photo-70.jpg

after baking
photo-74.jpg

cross section (tighter than it should be, i thought maybe an extra fold would help with my butter issue, it didn't)

photo-73.jpg

I will conquer these by thanksgiving..... a whole wheat version will be on my table for dinner......... I have a couple ideas of things that I need to change in my prep

Deb

that was still coffee time

there will probably be a cheesecake but I don't need to do a test one of those

I haven't finalized the dessert menu yet....... last year I made four, I"m not sure i need four for 8 people , maybe I do....... everybody tells me I don't need that many but I don't EVER hear anybody complaining with the choices. I'm more apt to hear, I'm going to have a little of each :D

Top Bottom