First Time Brisket

FLBentRider

4lbs sounds like one of the "market trimmed" briskets.

Does it have a fat cap?

If not, it will be difficult to keep it from being dry.

I put a rub on brisket, then run it on smoke for a couple of hours, then 225F until the IT is 185-195F

kmcgraw09

It did have a light layer of fat......... I bought this 4 LB Brisket from (Rothes) roy $23.00. I used the MAK cook book recipe and assumed 1 hour @ 225 per LB and I pulled it off @ 195 IT after 5 hours it didn't turn out as expected. I was semi juicy but still jerky in texture. Any suggestions.

When I do this again I am most likely going to be cooking for 2 maybe 4 so I won't be going for a 12 LBer

MAK DADDY

Buy the full packer instead of the flat, it has a lot more mass to help keep it from drying out. Try injections, they can help moisture and add different flavor profiles. Yes its a lot of meat but you can always freeze it in small portions. Brisket is the hardest cut to smoke, practice makes perfect :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
with a flat you should always foil at about 150 internal temp with a little special juice...broth....marinade...cook to about 195 I have almost never seen a brisket done at 195 You are rendering the toughest cut on the cow.....You know when its done when you slie a probe into it and it feels like butter...if it still has resistance it isnt done. I usually pull mine at between 200-205

Top Bottom