Some EZ Pastrami

ACW3

I haven’t been able to do any “real” cooking on my pellet grill for a while, so I decided it was time to fire it up and make some smoke. My wife bought me a nice Chef’s Choice meat slicer for taking care of her while she is recovering from her hip replacement. (She is doing wonderfully, by the way.) I decided to thaw out a couple of store-bought corned beef briskets and make some EZ Pastrami. My friend Gordon shared with me the original recipe and it has turned out some great pastrami. Basically, you take a 3 to 5 pound corned beef and soak it in water over several days, changing the water several times. This helps to remove any excess saltiness. After soaking the briskets, I dried them, made a dry rub of 3 Tbl coarse ground black pepper, 2 Tbl garlic powder, 1 Tbl onion powder, and 2 tsp ground coriander, and rubbed them. I put each of them in a sealed bag overnight. Next was onto the MAK using BD oak pellets on the smoke setting for six hours. It was cold out the other evening when I was doing this, so I had to bump the temp up to 225 after three hours.

IMG_6994.jpg

When the IT reached 170, I pulled both briskets and brought them inside to steam them. Years ago I bought a stainless steam pot with two baskets to be able to steam several foods at one time. This is the perfect tool for the next step, steaming the briskets until they reached an IT of 190.

IMG_7000.jpg

The bottom pan holds the water and the next two layers hold the two briskets.

IMG_6999.jpg

After reaching the correct IT, I wrapped them in foil and put them into the refrigerator overnight. This afternoon I set up my slicer and proceeded to slice different thicknesses of the pastrami.

IMG_7002.jpg

Thin is in!

IMG_7005.jpg

I had been “sampling” the end product while slicing, but the real proof would be a pastrami sandwich, on Jewish Rye, of course.

IMG_7007.jpg

I made one sandwich for my wife and one for me. Melba Thin Jewish Rye, some Grey Poupon Deli Mustard, two slices of provolone cheese, and a pile of thin-sliced pastrami!

IMG_7008.jpg

Good Eats!! I wish everyone could taste this pastrami. Actually, you can, if you make your own. LOL. It turned out better than the first briskets I smoked using the same recipe. Must have been the slicer! I could never hand-slice the meat as thin as the slicer.

It was nice to get back outside with my pellet grill again. I wonder what I’ll try next?

Art

Hobbit

Art that is fantastic. Pastrami is one of the things I want to make but haven't tried yet. Maybe I will now. Thanks.

ACW3

I did not re-steam, although I should have because I hadn't finished cleaning up my "mess". Besides, I couldn't wait any longer.

Art

SmokinMAK

Thanks Art. A nice steaming serving of Pastrami, smothered in swiss. I gotta make me some of this, it's been on my list since the day I bought my MAK!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TentHunter

It looks wonderfully good! I'm gonna have to remember that tip about soaking it for a few days to remove the extra saltiness.

Thanks Art!

SmokinMAK

Well Art, I couldn't resist. The thought of a steaming pile of Pastrami during Super Bowl was too much for me. I followed your recipe (mostly) and came out with some great tasting Pastrami. Just a tad saltier than I like - I may soak longer next time. 4 hours on the MAK with BM Maple pellets, and finished off in the steamer. Let it cool then sliced it as thin as my slicer would allow. Then steamed prior to serving. Taking the leftovers to work tomorrow. Got some drooling coworkers waiting for it!

MossyMO

Wow Art, when your shoulder heals you and your wife deserve a well needed healthy summer!
Great looking pastrami, congrats!
Wife and I have made pastrami in the past and also had crushed juniper berries in our list of ingredients.

ACW3

I love it when a post get resurrected. This reminded me that I have some pastrami vacuum sealed in the freezer. I also have some smoked provolone that I did about five weeks ago. Lunch today will be...

Art

SmokinMAK

My coworkers were unanimous - They loved it! Took my rice steamer in and set it up in my office. No wonder I was hungry all afternoon - the smell of steamy pastrami was in the air all day!
Anyways, thanks again Art for nudging me in this direction. I will definitely do this again!

ACW3

You know, that is one of the great things about this site. Toss something out there and someone will find an innovative way to solve the problem. The rice steamer is a good one. Just another "tid-bit" to tuck away for future use.

Art

Top Bottom