Cold Smoked Steelhead Trout

CarterQ

That looks great, what do you use for a brine and how long do you brine for? I tried cold smoking salmon on the MAK this weekend but it ended up being way to salty. Thanks for the pics.

TentHunter

AHHHH, the post I've been waiting for!

That's some beautiful looking Steelhead Rainbow Trout there ACW3! Please spill the beans on cooking temps, times, etc.

Around here I can get Salmon and I can get regular rainbows occasionally, but steelhead is another story. I may just have to drive up to Cleveland's west side market to locate some.

BTW I use to live in the Burlington/Greensboro area and did a lot of hiking/backpacking in your neck of the woods just north of you in Linville Gorge. That is a truly scenic area. I can't eat pulled pork without thinking of good ole' NC!

ACW3

Okay, here are the details. Sorry, I was wrapped up in trying to figure out how to post the pictures and forgot about the "details". Here goes. I used an Alton Brown rub for smoked salmon (1 cup of kosher salt, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon of crushed black pepper). I "dry-brined" the trout by liberally coating both sides of the fish and placing the two meat sides face-to-face. I wrapped the two filet's with plastic wrap and foil and placed them in the refrigerator on a cooling rack on a large cookie sheet for several days with several phone books stacked on them to squeeze the excess liquid out of them. After pouring off all the liquid that collected from the "dry-brining" I rinsed off the remaining rub under cold water. Really rinse the fish well. Next I placed the two filet's back on the cooling rack on the large cookie sheet and placed them in my wine cellar for about twenty-four hours to air dry the filet's. This was the coolest place I had that was not a refrigerator. My wine cellar is both temperature and humidity controlled, so it was perfect for this step. The filet's dried nicely. Using BD Peach pellets, I smoked the two filet's on my MAK for seven hours on the "smoke setting". The ambient temperature was in the upper 30's to start, and ended up in the low 60's by the end, so the smoker side of the MAK never got too warm. I plan to cut them into several smaller pieces and vacuum seal them for future use. The last time I cold smoked some fish it took several days for the "smoke flavor" to properly penetrate into the meat. I can't wait to taste these Steelhead later this week.

If I have left anything out, let me know I will be happy to answer your questions.

Art

SmokinMAK

Glad I found your post, Art. My co-worker just gave me 1.5lbs of steelhead he caught here in Oregon. Already started a wet brine for the fish so I'll deviate from your plan there, but hope to smoke them Sunday. This will be my first attempt at cold smoking anything. I'll let you know how it goes.

ACW3

Ed,
I just returned home from my trip to the Eastern Sportsman Show in Harrisburg, PA. If the number of attendees is any indication of the economy, ALL IS WELL!!!

Keep us posted with your results. Don't forget pictures and details. Inquiring minds want to know.

Art

Top Bottom