1 Star vs. 2 Star

BigRed

I am new to the smoking world. I went to my local fireplace/grill store and almost fell into a Chinese built pellet smoker...thankfully I discovered a much better option in the MAK...before I made that mistake.

I need some help deciding between 1 and 2 star. Here's my situation:

Don't own a smoker now.
Mostly cooking for my family with occasional extended family gatherings, friends over.
Camp in summer and would consider loading it in the truck to take camping if feasible.
Cost isn't the deciding factor
Live in upper midwest with cold/windy conditions in the winter.

Looking for some opinions on which way I should go.

Thanks

Chili Head

I have the two star and after having it for 7 months I think I would have been happy with the one star too. The smoker box on the side of the 2 star is nice for smoking cheese and keeping food warm after it's cooked plus I like the shelf factor. With a one star I would have purchased a shelf anyway. The two star has the pellet dump door..I love this feature and I use it all the time. The one feature I really dont use much now is the ash door..I have a small dedicated shop vac I use to clean the ash out with. I think you'll be happy with either one. I love my MAK and I cant imagine being without one.

Meat Man

They are both great units, the flame zone on the 2 star if very useful. I believe they are making a flame zone for the 1 star. If your are not in a hurry MAK is coming out with new models this year, 1000 sq inch 4 star and a 3 star that is larger I also believe these new units will be insulated. If you want to see the prototype google MAK 4 star images it is awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

squirtthecat

I have the 1 Star and love it. It's a smaller footprint from the 2 Star - but not that much smaller.

I've loaded it in the back of my truck to haul around on a couple occasions. You can do it by yourself - with a bit of leverage.

Check out my post here. Also take a look at Jim's hitch mount video for his 2 Star. That would be the ultimate solution for a MAK On Wheels..

Big Poppa

Administrator
The fourstar is going to sell for $8,000 and therefore will be very scarce...the three star hasnt been prototyped yet so I wouldnt hold your breath for 2012.....MAK Daddy knows best though!

Meat Man

Big Poppa the four star will have two pellet boss controls will you be able to grill at different temps on either side.

jimsbarbecue

No matter which one you get. You will end up collecting all the extras down the road. Second shelf ,Sear Grate, Griddle, Remote Pellet Boss. I would suggest jumping into the two star and have the warming drawer and flame zone.Both features I didn't think we would use much but am glad we have them now.

Carter13

i like both of them. they both cook differently but the same.

I know you cook 90% of the time on your 1 Star. It intrigues me and would love to hear why since you have both.

I finally got to see both the 1 and 2 Stars in person yesterday and believe the 1 Star is the way I am going to go.

BigRed

Meat man - do you mean that the flame zone would be an add on accessory for the current 1 star or would be on a future model that I should wait for.

If it would be an accessory I could add on to a current 1 star then then essentially the advantage of a 2 star would be: smoker box, pellet dump door and more sq inches????? trying to decide if that's worth the extra 700?

Meat Man

BigRed, I'm pretty sure somebody was doing a prototype test on one star flame zone, I think it was Tenthunter it is in one of the threads. As I remember though it was a full grill flame zone. Obviously you could always buy and extra drip pan and drill holes in it (not sure if that would work) but I think a full grill flame zone would be cool. I like the one star, I love the two star. If you added all the extra shelves to the one star you would be in it about $1600 dollars. So the difference is only about $400 bucks, but you don't get the stainless, and the stainless is awesome. The cold smoke box is nice for stuff like nuts and cheese, and I think it would come in handy if you wanted to keep something warm. If your like most of us you'll want to change out pellets for different things that you'll be cooking and the pellet dump door is really nice convince. These things are way above what's available in this price range for smoking, being able to grill a steak on one was the decisive point for me, absolutely the most versatile grill on the market. You could easily spend less, but in the end you'd wish you had a MAK.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I have tested and shown here the one star full flame zone...please dont drill a normal one the holes are raised for a good reason....THe deal with the MAK is both the two star and the one star have tons of great accessories that you can choose from The new one and two star gives you the choice of half flame zon ith cover like standard...and then the quick change where you can chang the entire plate to a solid to a full flame really cool!

Meat Man

Big Poppa I didn't see those on you web site or the MAK Grill site, you have all the cool stuff! How much are those full flame zone pans?
Didn't mean to suggest anything harmful (nesisity is the mother of invention). BTW why are those holes raised?

RickB

I have tested and shown here the one star full flame zone...please dont drill a normal one the holes are raised for a good reason....THe deal with the MAK is both the two star and the one star have tons of great accessories that you can choose from The new one and two star gives you the choice of half flame zon ith cover like standard...and then the quick change where you can chang the entire plate to a solid to a full flame really cool!

Too cool. Cant wait for the full flame zone for the 2star. 1 star versus 2.... I always like to default to the most feature rich model. You cant go back!

Meat Man

Thanks, BTW I think you and your site ROCK! I know you sell alot of smokers and represent many different brands and I'm sure they all differ in some way, one star, two star, Memphis, as well as the others. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE? What do you cook on?

MAK DADDY

If your heart is really set on taking it camping a lot then get the 1 Star. The 2 Star weighs in over 200lbs with pellets and is not the easiest thing to pick up into the back of a truck or move around the camp site. The 1 Star is still 165lbs with pellets but is a bit easier to pack around with a buddy's help.

If camping is just a maybe then buy the 2 Star, it is the swiss army knife of pellet grills and we are still developing more cool options for it :)

Either way you will LOVE your MAK, and thanks for buying American Made!

Top Bottom