Bite through chicken skin

Big Poppa

Administrator
Here is a little shot from my competition practice cook...Little Louie is the best judge! For those of you who don't compete....you have to have bite through skin to score at all.....
IMG_0961.jpg

Chili Head

I've been reading about competition chicken lately. I'm sure it's not easy to get the perfect bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACW3

As a KCBS judge you run into all kinds of chicken. When you find a piece that has that "bite-through skin", it makes it all worth it. When I judged at the Shelby, NC competition in early November, I actually had three pieces that had the good bite-through skin on it. And yes, they did get great scores.

At the same contest I had a piece of brisket that could have been used as a tow strap for towing another car. Way under cooked. My guess is that the brisket was only about half-cooked. Didn't get a very good acore. I did, however, give them a "note" on their undercooked brisket.

Art

HoDeDo

Nice looking chicken!
BTW, BP, rub arrived, so I have a couple of things I need to do with it. <insert menacing laugh here>
Different flavors, I like it!

TTNuge

Johnny Trigg will be glad to tell ya...... :) I know his method isn't exactly the same but probably close.

Big Poppa

Administrator
no its very different. Let me give you a hint.....you cook the chicken in stages....start by smoking it for awhile and then your goal is rendering the fat out of the skin....that happens skin side down.....it can be in a bath or not then you finish skin side up and then set your sauce....

Big Poppa

Administrator
trent the way johnny taught you is rare....most are done in a bath of butter...and other stuff.....think bacon fat.....think.....hahahaha

CarterQ

The "bath" would refer to placing it in some form of liquid (in this case a fat) about halfway in or so, you don't want to cover the whole chicken piece.

Top Bottom