Point and Flats? What are they?

sparky

From the last weekly challenge, TTNuge said he "separated the point from the flat". What does that mean? I haven't cook a brisket yet so don't know the terms.

HoDeDo

If you have a whole or "packer" brisket, The point is the rich fatty portion on the top of the cut, which has an "eye" at one end and extends over the larger leaner "flat" underneath it.

Most grocery stores will only have "flats"... so ask for a packer cut or whole brisket.

You can trim back the excess fat and have one heck of a BBQ. The point is the piece usually used to make "burnt ends" from... so you would separate the point from the flat during cooking to finish the pieces as you see fit. The grains of these two portions of a packer brisket, run opposite each other, so it is fairly easy to separate them during the cooking process.

TentHunter

If you lay a brisket down, you'll see its somewhat shaped like an arrow. One end is thinner, flatter, has less fat and is usually squared off. This is the flat end.

The other end is much thicker, fattier and narrows to sort of a point; hence the name.

HoDeDo really hit the nail on the head about most grocery stores... around here that's all the grocery stores carry and they charge an arm and a leg for it to boot!

You can trim back the excess fat and have one heck of a BBQ. The point is the piece usually used to make "burnt ends" from... so you would separate the point from the flat during cooking to finish the pieces as you see fit. The grains of these two portions of a packer brisket, run opposite each other, so it is fairly easy to separate them during the cooking process.

Andy, I've never tried separating the two during the cook. At what point do you separate them? Tips on finishing the two cuts? Please... more info!

Last edited:

HoDeDo

Andy, I've never tried separating the two during the cook. At what point do you separate them? Tips on finishing the two cuts? Please... more info!

Couple of options... separate at the beginning of the cook, or when you to wrap... or the easiest point, is at about 185, when the fat is really breaking down. (pull open your wrap and sep.)... I let my point run longer, until it is almost like jelly... rest, then cut and brush with sauce and aujus, put back on the cooker in open foil to set up nicely... then it is cold brew and good eats.... Nothin could be finer than some good burnt ends and Shiner!

On the flat... at home, I will re-season at the wrap,and let it ride until it is around 200 deg., rest for 30 min or so, then tent foil, then slice, and back baste with the foil drippings.

Now Andy about that Pork how....................
I think I gave the pork secret in another thread ... it is like a scavenger hunt... Drop a tip in 6 threads, and make you piece em together LOL

I like how you think THom
Now that is scary :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
ACTUALLY IT IS REALLY SCARY! Right Thom?

I got the secret Thom Ill tell you but you have to buy some more rub!

TentHunter

Thanks Andy!

Also read your tip in the "Fat Cap" thread about ditching the fat for more bark.

Now I am gonna have to go find a brisket so I can try these techniques!

Top Bottom