What are ya, nuts?!?!?

squirtthecat

Yes. :D

20111126103320.jpg

5.85 pounds stuffed in the Reveo container. The rest went nicely with my cup of coffee.

20111126103529.jpg

In goes a double batch of Seemore's Blazin' love. (with the KyNola wooster twist)

20111126104025.jpg

20 minutes of tumblin'.

20111126104229.jpg

Carefully spread out on the FrogMats. Pellet Boss set at 205°. I'm thinking about letting them go 4 hours like this.

20111126111218.jpg

In retrospect, I should have had the Traeger going as well. But it runs a bit on the hot side and I don't want to burn these. (nor did I want to clean it out)

Pistachios are $$$ around here, so I posted my sentries. :cool:

20111126111235.jpg

20111126114540.jpg

We'll check back around 2:30 or so, when it is supposed to be blowing up a gale and raining sideways. Sigh.

ACW3

I smoked two pounds of kosher salt brined peanuts on my MAK last night. Had a few that were overdone (they were near the back left corner of the grill), but by in large they are very edible. I think I may try some shelled nuts next time to see how they turn out.

Art

squirtthecat

And... We're almost done. Some of the almonds near the front edge got scorched, but I'll eat those for Quality Control.

20111126144900.jpg

20111126145629.jpg

20111126145636.jpg

It's raining now, so I brought them in and put them in a warm oven to continue drying while we head to Church.

Chili Head

Lookin good!

After you sent me the recipe I've made them several times. They are tasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squirtthecat

Here ya go!

Adapted from Seemore's Blazing Pistachios from the Bradley Smoker Recipe Site.

I have to give credit to my buddy KyNola for coming up with the ratios listed. (he started with a 3 pound Sam's Club bag of pistachios and worked backwards)

1 cup of green Tabasco sauce
1 cup of pickled jalapeno juice
5 tbsps of melted butter
1 1/2 tsps of salt or your favorite BBQ rub (I use pecan smoked salt)
5 tbsps of Worcestershire (1/3rd-ish cup)
3 pound bag of pistachios

Mix together well (can be a pain in the butt, that's why I use the tumbler) and spread out on FrogMats or jerky mats, cheesecloth, etc.

Smoke at a temp under 225° for around 3 hours. I let these run 4 hours at 205° in my MAK, then put in the house oven on 'low' for a couple hours until they were completely dry.

Beware, they are habit forming.... And not too 'blazing'. Just a nice mild heat.

TentHunter

HA ha ha ha ha ha!

The pics of the cats on sentry duty made me almost fall out of my chair laughing! Too funny! :D

The nuts looks great.

squirtthecat

They are super easy to make... The hardest parts are getting them evenly mixed, and getting them off of the Frog Mat without spilling them all over the ground. Fortunately, they stick to the mats, so you can carefully 'comb' them off with a glove.

squirtthecat

Fully salted/roasted. I picked up the bags from Sam's Club. These things are addicting... They won't last until Christmas! (they were destined for gift baggies)

Chili Head

Here's a tip to remember!!

Make sure they're dry to the touch before you put them in your house oven!! I cant express this enough!
I just finished smoking some for two hours in the warming drawer on my MAK 2 star. They were still very moist when I took them out so I figured I would finish them off in the house oven set on 170 with the oven door open a few inches. LOL big mistake! Think pepper spray! Hehehe. Let's just say I'm glad my wife has a sense of humor :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squirtthecat

Good advice! I ran these for 4 hours at 200°, and they were still a little bit sticky to the touch. 90 minutes in the house oven (similar effect if you poked your head in there - whoo!) and they were done.

Carter13

I finally got a chance to do these. I cooked 2 lbs of salted cashews and 1 lb of salted pistacios today. I did add 1/3 teaspoon of Cayenne to the brine for some extra kick.
I cooked them for 4 hours on 205 and they were done and not sticky at the end. I forgot to add the butter "DOH" so that may have made a difference in the time to finish.
I will say that I found the cashews had more of a smokey flavor and just a bit of tang/spice. The pistacios had less of a smoke flavor but much more of a tang/spice flavor. I think the shells help keep the brine undisturbed inside with the nut and the original salt making it really good. I will be adding the butter next time and only doing pistacios.
Thanks again Squirt.

Top Bottom