Brined, smoked 21 lb. bird 2011

IndyDuq

I've been smoking my birds for nearly 20 years, and brining them for the last 5 on a variety of propane smokers. Thanksgiving was always a love/hate day due to the constant fretting about temperature control in the differing weather every year in the Midwest. Loved the wonderful quality of smoked turkey, hated getting up at 5, then hoping that I could keep the smoker hot (or cool) enough for the required time.

This year, thanks to Meatheads wonderfully thorough reviews on Amazingribs.com, I purchased a Mak 1 Star from Big Poppa. What a great grill, truly "set it and forget it"!!

My turkey was fabulous as always, but with much less worrying!!

Koolranch

Nice real nice. What was the outdoor temp and how long did you cook it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyDuq

It was in the high 40's low 50's over the course of the smoke. I cooked at 320 deg smoker temp. (For the first time based on Meatheads advice. I had previously always used low & slow at about 220.) Not sure exactly on time, (I cook to bird internal temp.), but I think it was close to 4 hours.

IndyDuq

KoolRanch, It was in the high 40's low 50's over the course of the smoke. I cooked at 320 deg smoker temp. (For the first time based on Meatheads advice. I had previously always used low & slow at about 220.) Not sure exactly on time, (I cook to bird internal temp.), but I think it was close to 4 hours.

Top Bottom