NEPAS Made Me Do It!

ACW3

I am slowly getting back to using my MAK. I had one more pound of kosher salt brined peanuts that I needed to smoke, this time with a different flavor pellet (apple wood). I had previously done two pounds using oak pellets. Sorry, there are no pictures of the first batch of peanuts. I decided to try something I saw Rick (NEPAS) do some time back, smoke a chub of bologna, cut into chunks and pickle the results. I also decided to try a recipe I got from one of the Canadian guys (Mike, aka Lumpy) I met at the NEPAS Smoke Out back in June. This involved smoking and pickling some hard boiled eggs.

The first picture shows the peanuts and the bologna on the top shelf of my MAK while it is in the “smoke” setting.

IMG_7014.jpg

The second picture shows the Vidallia onions, small jalapenos and hard boiled eggs in the cold smoking side of my MAK. The onions and jalapenos were added to the pickling “brew” and boiled until everything was nice and tender. I used the same pickling liquid for both the eggs and the bologna.

IMG_7015.jpg

The last picture shows three jars of smoked pickled eggs and two jars of smoked pickled bologna.

IMG_7020.jpg

I plan to give two jars of eggs and one jar of bologna to my son as a Christmas present. His wife will kill me. Oh well, you only go around once! The smell of everything was good. I can’t wait to open a jar of each and sample them.

Art

Last edited:

bsotoy

Great recipe. I started pickling shrimp w/eggs last year using a Paula Deene recipe (yum)... now you have me thinking about smoking the shrimp before pickling... anyone ever pickle smoked oysters?

ACW3

I decided to enjoy some of my smoked pickled eggs and bologna for lunch today. Really good! The jalapenos were still pretty spicy, however. I’ll do this recipe again.

IMG_7098.jpg

Art

ACW3

Actually, the pickling flavor is only slightly more than any smoked flavor. It is what I would call a mild pickling flavor. Very pleasant and not overpowering.

Art

Top Bottom