Question about BBQ Comps cancelled last year...

TentHunter

Am I imagining this or do I remember hearing about several BBQ comps that got cancelled last year? I never heard anything much as to why so many got cancelled.

Did Gasoline prices play a role? Any other insights into why and do you competitors think this year will be different/better?

HoDeDo

most cancel if they do not get the # of teams they need to stay afloat. In the midwest at least, there are some weekends that can support 3-4 events, but when you start to get 4-5 within a 2 hr drive ... something usually gives.

scooter

Speaking only for CA, there were more contests in 2011 than in 2010. There were 18 (KCBS & IBCA) contests in 2010. In 2011, even subtracting out the 3 cancelled contests, the overall contest count grew from 18 to 23 (KCBS, IBCA & PNWBA).
Looking to the 2012 KCBS calendar I see 4 brand new 1st annual contests scheduled already! The economy doesn't seem to be playing a role in the number of contests each year. Not in CA at least.

firehouse_bbq

What are the 4 new contests in 2012 for CA?

Speaking only for CA, there were more contests in 2011 than in 2010. There were 18 (KCBS & IBCA) contests in 2010. In 2011, even subtracting out the 3 cancelled contests, the overall contest count grew from 18 to 23 (KCBS, IBCA & PNWBA).
Looking to the 2012 KCBS calendar I see 4 brand new 1st annual contests scheduled already! The economy doesn't seem to be playing a role in the number of contests each year. Not in CA at least.

Matt Dalton

Am I imagining this or do I remember hearing about several BBQ comps that got cancelled last year? I never heard anything much as to why so many got cancelled.

Did Gasoline prices play a role? Any other insights into why and do you competitors think this year will be different/better?
I know of 3..Lakeside,Laughlin and Arcadia that were cancelled due to a sponsor spending all of the money before they had the comps out here..so the promoter had to cancel the rest...I have heard there are going to be a few more new ones down south..Queen Mary is one of them

firehouse_bbq

Hey Matt, any dates on the Queen Mary? Sounds like a great place for a BBQ Comp!

I know of 3..Lakeside,Laughlin and Arcadia that were cancelled due to a sponsor spending all of the money before they had the comps out here..so the promoter had to cancel the rest...I have heard there are going to be a few more new ones down south..Queen Mary is one of them

Top Bottom