Big Poppa's Thanksgving 2011

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok I start Thanksgiving actually cooking stuffing and cranberry sauces on Wednesday.
Other than Little Louie Thurs is amateur hour in the packed kitchen. I get to really enjoy the process.

Lets start with cranberry sauce. I make the standard back of package Ocean Spray always. Still the best basic sauce...then each year I doctor...You can doctor with different fruit, liquid, spices anything. This year I just added some very sweet diced pineapple and it was really nice. How easy was this section?

Now on to the stuffing. Little Louie likes and the boys like to have the standard old fashioned mrs cubbisons style so she cooks one in the oven. We had four turkeys for 13 for dinner...(we have hungry people and I love to have leftovers.)

Understand that stuffing is sauteed onions, celery, carrots....you can also add peppers...sweet hot whatever. Then it is seasonings of your choice, dried or newly stale bread and chicken stock. Thats it. That is your canvas. You can put nuts, berries, diced fruit...go crazy.

So here is the first one I made. Crazy one....Chicken apple sausage cornbread stuffing. Sounds tame right? ahahah not even a little. I started by making the cornbread with Bacon Pineapple and jalapeno...that's right bacon jalapeno pineapple cornbread
DSC00108.jpg

Saute in butter and olive oil until it is soft...
DSC00109.jpg

then mix the pineapple jalapeno with the bacon and some honey into the cornbread mix
DSC00110.jpg

While thats baking use the above mentioned veggies and dice and saute
DSC00112.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

Then take your sausage...I used a precooked aidells sausage and put it in the cuisinart on pulse until it was like fine ground beef..cook it down again with a little salt and pepper
DSC00113.jpg

Then mix in your pan all of the ingredients
DSC00115.jpg

(notice the apple chinks?
Then add chicken stock until you like the consistency...you dont want it totally flooded but you want it beyond moist because it will dry out in the smoker if you have it too dry to begin with
DSC00116.jpg

cover with foil and put in to the cooker and cook with the turkey for an hour and a hlaf...hour foiled half hour unfoiled.

Waa Laa

Big Poppa

Administrator
Part 2

No comes a reqally crazy stuffing! Rad Beans and rice stuffing with Andouille sausage stuffing...
Start with your veggies
DSC00117.jpg

The use a boxed red beans and rice mix...I used Zaitrains When the rice is done add the sauteed veggies salt and pepper
DSC00119.jpg

Add to dried french bread and add chicken stock like before
DSC00120-1.jpg

Foil and cook in smoker for one hour at 275 and then halfr hour uncovered....
Now to the dinner....
MAK one star turkey
DSC00131.jpg

Two on the Memphis Advantage
DSC00132.jpg

Look at the color and smoke on the MAK one
DSC00133.jpg

TentHunter

Now that sounds and looks tantalizing. I believe I eat at least half of that tray myself. Stuffing is my favorite part of the Thanksgiving Dinner.

ACW3

Looks and sounds great, BP. I didn't get to cook a turkey for Thanksgiving this year. We went to our neighbors house and shared their wonderful meal. However, I did buy a small turkey on Friday (on sale) and put it in the freezer for use at a later date. I recently bought some blood orange infused EVOO from a gourmet olive oil and balsamic vinegar shop. I plan to spatchcock the turkey and inject with the blood orange EVOO, after dry brining with an orange brine I saw in our newspaper. Pictures and write-up later.

Art

Chili Head

I'm like tenthunter where stuffing is my favorite. I love the crusty edges lol. I've never made stuffing before..it's time to start. Thanks for the inspiration BP and for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warpath

Stuffing looks terrific!! I tried something new this year I cooked my stuffing in large muffin tins.. gives lots of crusty edges.. I will probably do it again..

seeya
Dave

Deb

stuffing and cranberry sauce are my favorite part of the meal . Yours look great!

my cranberry sauce is loosely based off the back of the bag too.

Top Bottom