My first Thanksgiving with the MAK

roburado

I'm a bit short on pictures for this cook. So, you won't see the usual detail. It's more about the final product with this set of pics than the process of cooking.

De Bebe and I decided that we were going to do a sort of Mexican-inspired menu. So, we started off with appetizers in the basement. We had one table that was a pulled pork taco bar. Originally, it was going to be done on the MAK, but we decided to do it in a crockpot to save room in the fridge and on the MAK. So, De Bebe made this guy the night before. I'm not sure what went into it aside from roasted poblanos and lovely spices, but it was a hit.

DSC_0189.jpg

The taco bar had a couple of different salsas, sour cream, black beans, olives, guacamole, lettuce, and cheese. De Bebe's grandma made some meatballs that are in the stoneware there.

DSC_0188.jpg

Our other appetizer table had grandma's smokies, some ham rolled up with cream cheese and scallions, cheese and crackers, and a veggie tray.

DSC_0187.jpg

Now, on to the main meal. There's my 14-lb. prime rib done on the MAK. Glued with garlic olive oil. Rubbed with BPS's DSSR. Smoked to a Rare+ or thereabouts. Pulled at 130F or so and FTC to rest and stay warm. In the background is De Bebe's oven-roasted turkey based on Alton Brown's brining and roasting technique.

DSC_0185.jpg

My spatchcocked and rubbed 14-lb. turkey, cooked on the grill with the prime rib.

DSC_0184.jpg

The main buffet: The prime rib, De Bebe's bird (my bird is out of view), the pumpkin pie De Bebe's grandma brought, some butternut squash, my jicama-cranberry salsa a la Rick Bayless, De Bebe's mom's au gratin potatoes, some decorative peppers, and green-bean casserole.

DSC_0183.jpg

Last edited:

Chili Head

What a feast!
What do you put in your ham roll ups? Cream cheese ham and onion in the middle? Everyone Ive talked too uses pickle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roburado

Thanks, everyone for the kind words. De Bebe and I really enjoyed having her family over for Thanksgiving. She deserves a huge amount of credit for a lot of the food.

Top Bottom