A three-butt race on the Traeger

squirtthecat

Back story: MrsSTC's Mom is staying with us for a while, so I've been cooking up a storm in the back yard keeping the fridge stocked.

Scanning the Sunday Paper, I see pork butts are on sale (sort of - $1.39/lb) this week. So I grabbed one Wednesday and put it in the freezer. Got 2 more Friday on the way home, and decided to do a little experiment.

It's widely known that the right side of the Traeger runs hotter than the left. So I put the 9 pound frozen solid butt over there, and the 2 8 pound refrigerated butts on the left. Rubbed with Sorghum Molasses and some Dumpster Rub. Sorry, no prep pictures, it was dark & cold and I had my hands full.

By the way.. Sorghum turns to an industrial adhesive at temperatures below 40° :eek:

Filled the hopper, set the controller to 225° (more like 250° on that right side) and called it a night.

Flash forward 11.5 hours..

IMGP7286.JPG

Frozen butt on the right is at 190°. Left rear is 191° and left front is 189°.

We'll give them another 45 minutes or so to reach 195+° and declare the 'winner'.. It's looking to be a photo finish.

---

And... It's a tie. :cool:

I went out at 9AM (roughly 12.5 hours in) and all three were at 199-200°.

Into the F, waiting for some TC love..

IMGP7303.JPG

Got some nice color.

IMGP7305.JPG

And into my Nebraskan Cambro for a few hours.

IMGP7307.JPG

--

Pulled.

20111203114139.jpg

13-14 pounds in the fridge.

20111203115246.jpg

Pulled some out and loaded in the crock pot.

20111203145122.jpg

Some friends of ours came over to keep MIL company while we went to my Corporate Christmas party, so we fixed a little buffet line for them. Not pictured: Salami, cheese, Blazin' Pistachios/Almonds and a small crock pot with Lil' Smokies swimming in some Blues Hog BBQ sauce.

(guess who ate better ;))

SmokeAndSpice

I wonder what the result would be if you'd have put one of the unfrozen on the right and a frozen plus unfrozen on the left.

Top Bottom