First Brisket Competition Box

Meat Man

We are getting ready for our very first competition. Learning all the ins and outs of putting together comp boxes. Smoke a smallish packer today, I think I prefer 12 to 14 pounders.
Brisket turned out great but fit was a little tight. Looking for some honest feedback.

617ed228-2615-c9b2.jpg

617ed228-2646-63dc.jpg

617ed228-2656-80c8.jpg

617ed228-267d-1649.jpg

Ya dinner was great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chili Head

It looks tasty!

I'm no judge and have never cooked in a competition. From looking at your box I would try to use slices that are more uniform in size. But..I don't know what the judges are looking for. That's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky

Your slices aren't uniform and not sitting even in the box. Your lettuce or parsley is not sticking up at the same height. I am also not judge. Just telling you what I see.

Meat Man

A few things I learned from this box:

I need to slice the meat a little thinner, your right Chili Head and Sparky, try to get 6-8 uniform slices.

Build up the parsley bed higher, the box is concave, a littler higher would give me more space to display the meat.

Never trust one probe, should have used my Thermapen, MAK probe was reading 190 when I unfoiled it. Used my Therapen 10 mins later and actual temp was 170. I had the MAK probe in the wrong spot.

Thanks for the feedback.

Big Poppa

Administrator
the only spot that is important is the area in which you plan on turning in.....search matt daltons thread you show your and Ill show mine where he shows a perfect brisket box

Meat Man

Thanks BP, That is a beautiful brisket box, thanks Matt for posting that. It certianly gives us wanabe's something to shoot for.

Top Bottom