2 Hour Ribs - on the MAK!

TentHunter

In a recent thread Cmack1 asked about doing quick ribs where I posted a suggested quick method.

This was an extremely busy music filled weekend with barely any time to cook. Well, what better time to really test a quick two-hour rib method on the MAK and post about it?

Here it goes:

The MAK was prepped by loading Black Walnut pellets into the hopper to kick the smoke flavor up a notch. A pan of water and a packet of 100% apple wood pellets were added onto the drip pan. The Idea was to add moisture to protect the ribs from the high heat and aid in smoke absorption and hopefully get at least a small smoke ring. The Packet of pellets would hopefully smoulder at the higher temps, thereby adding a little more smoke flavor during the first part of the high temp cook.
2hrRibs1.JPG

Two racks of spares were trimmed and received only a light sprinkling of rub and no mustard glue that might coat the pores of the meat. I didn't want anything to get in the way of smoke absorption. They went into the MAK, over top the water pan, on smoke mode for 15-20 minutes then about 1 hour 45 minutes at 350°. NO PEEKING - KEEP THE LID CLOSED UNTIL IT'S TIME TO SAUCE!
2hrRibs2.JPG

The rib tips got the same treatment.
2hrRibs3.JPG

While they cooked, I mixed some homemade BBQ sauce with some melted butter & honey.
2hrRibs5.JPG

With about 10 minutes left the ribs looked like this:
2hrRibs4.JPG

They were quickly sauced and lid closed for the last 10 minutes.
2hrRibs6.JPG

Time to slice & see how they turned out...
2hrRibs7.JPG

So far so good. They sliced ok so they weren't tough and it was nice to see a slight smoke ring.
2hrRibs8.JPG

I believe the water pan & pellet pack did their jobs. They were still plenty moist and had a decent enough smoke flavor, and while not the most tender, definitely tender enough to eat and enjoy.
2HRRIBS9b.JPG

So here's the low-down:

Were these the best ribs I'd ever eaten? NO!

But, were they moist & tender enough to eat? Yes. And were they flavorful with enough smoke profile to enjoy? Definitely!

Would I recommend this method? If you have the time to do them properly, no. But, if time is short and you want some ribs in a couple hours, then this method is simple, and it works.

All in all, they were pretty dang good for the time allotted! The family sure didn't hesitate to scarfed them up!

Thanks for looking! This was a fun post!

Last edited:

CarterQ

Look forward to seeing the comparison, used to do 3hr ribs at 300 - 325 in my gasser days and they always would come out decent especially if you hit them with sauce that was smoked enhanced. (not proud of this!)

Top Bottom