Chicken & Waffles - my way

Deb

always my way ;)

I was craving comfort food this weekend. Susan & I were talking - I said I"m craving chicken & waffles. She wrote back "together??" oh yeah. When Kevin was looking at colleges we went out to breakfast one morning in baltimore and I saw chicken & waffles on the menu - I thought the same thing but just had to try it. The waffle is loosely based on the waffle I had that morning. The topping would definately be the "my way" as most chicken & waffles are served with fried chicken.

Sunday I threw a chicken and a beef marrow bone on the traeger both with the intentions of making stock
photo-57.jpg

I also started the waffle batter - I didn't find a recipe close to what I wanted to do so I made up my own - winging it as I went along -- I soaked some cornmeal in buttermilk overnight. Then added traditional sourdough waffle ingredients along with some scallions, shredded cheddar and dried cranberries. This is the batter
photo-58.jpg

I originally was going to make a baked fried chicken for it but at the last minute decided to use some of the chicken that I had cooked. I made a roux, added some chicken stock, salt, pepper, thyme - pretty simple gravy. When it was done added the pulled chicken to heat.

Plated up -the scallion,cheese,cranberry, cornmeal sourdough waffle with chicken and gravy..........
photo-54-1-1.jpg

the waffle recipe needs a little work but has promise - it was good but can be better. True comfort food - smoky chicken and gravy :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom