this is part of Christmas breakfast

after curing for a week
photo-57-1-1.jpg

in the traeger
photo-58-1.jpg

photo-64.jpg

all sliced up
photo-57-2.jpg

if I have time I might make a small batch of this stollen without the almond paste for french toast (this was yesterday's baking)
photo-62.jpg

photo-63.jpg

photo-65.jpg

photo-55-2.jpg

ACW3

My Dad used to make Stollen almost every Christmas when he was alive. He went to a lot of trouble making it. I still have the "proofing bowl" that he used to make the dough, not to mention the crock he used to "marinate" the fruit. Old memories...

That bacon looks really good. I need to chat with you about it some time. My last batch was too salty and not smoked enough. It would have made some fine salt pork for green beans, however.

Art

Deb

Art - I use the bacon recipe in Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman as a base. I have never had a problem with that recipe being too salty.

I just ordered another belly because there won't be much of this left after xmas morning and gifts.

I used a plastic cambro container for marinating - i used (not traditional) raisins, apricots & cranberries. The raisins and apricots were soaked in dark rum and the cranberries in cranberry liqueur.

gwapogorilla

My gawd that looks good! I have never heard of "stollen". But, being raised in Iowa:rolleyes:

I flipped through that book Deb, but I did not buy it. If a person were to ask politely, would you scan and PM a recipe?

Deb

A few more pictures

all packaged up (lots of end pieces for cooking :D )

photo-57-3.jpg

a few test pieces (cooked on the pellet grill)
photo-55-3.jpg

gg - I sent you a pm

ACW3

Those are slices of heaven! I guess I will have to see about getting that book.

Art

Now I have to go cook some "store-bought bacon" for a late breakfast. I am hungry!

TentHunter

Oh my after seeing this I can't wait to make some Bacon after the holidays are over! I'm hoping to get a slicer for Christmas.

FLBentRider

I will warn anyone desiring to try this at home: Once you make your own bacon, the stuff from the store will no longer suffice!

I just finished smoking 22+ lbs of the stuff, and OMG is it good!

FLBentRider

I smoked it on my Bradley electric smoker. Four hours of Hickory smoke, I started the temp at 120F and slowly ramped up to 180F

Top Bottom