CHRISTMAS CONTEST!!!!2011 Bring on the goods!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok lets show the world how much better pelletsmokers eat!

If we get 15 entries I double the prizes!

first place $25. Store Credit To Big Poppa Smokers
second place $15 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
third place $10 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers

all other entries get $5 credit to BPS...Will not be doubled if we hit the 15 cooks only the top three prizes

Cook away and Happy Holidays!

Chili Head

Christmas Ribeyes

Today I made our traditional christmas ribeyes. But this year they were extra special!
They were cooked on the MAK!

Burning wine soaked oak the MAK was set to 450º

I started off by putting in some twice baked potatoes. These were made with onion, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.

009-6.jpg

While the potatoes were heating up to a golden brown I got the asparagus ready to go in. I drizzled them with some Garlic EVOO I just got from BP and some ground sea salt.
Big Poppa that Gradassi is good stuff! We all loved it!

004-9.jpg

It's time for some meat!

The steaks were reverse seared using grill grates. Everyone wanted theirs cooked differently from med rare to burnt. Burnt? :confused: It's christmas so I even burnt one for the MIL ;) I put hers on 15 minutes before the others. Mine was sprinkled with double secret steak rub and two others got a light sprinkle of garlic seasoning. One was even naked and plain. The wifes family have never had smoked ribeyes before tonight..they're huge fans now!

063-1.jpg

Lets plate it up!

Ribeye, twice baked, asparagus, home made honey wheat bread, orange cream salad and a glass of red wine.

065-1.jpg

066-1.jpg

068.jpg

070.jpg

All I can say is..OH MY GOODNESS!
The MAK does such a great job cooking everything I throw at it! The steaks were moist and tender. Even the one I had to over cook was very well done but not dried out.
The twice baked had the crispy outside we all love so much and with a a little salted butter it was delicious. The Asparagus came out nice and tender with a very light garlic taste. YUM!

Continued..

Last edited:

Chili Head

Well you gotta have holiday dessert right?? :p

Tonight I made smoked angel food cake and strawberry kabobs. There is something about smoked/grilled angel food cake that I just can't get enough of. It's soooo good!
I cooked these on the grill grates as well to get that char on them.

072.jpg

073.jpg

074-1.jpg

Put some whipped cream with it and enjoy!
This is one dessert you must try! You won't be dissapointed!

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Chili looks really good...try a light baste of butter on the angel for some enhanced carmelization...maybe a splash of vanilla in the butter .....

Deb

this is how pelletsmokers eat breakfast :D

earlier in the week I began prep..... I made and smoked bacon http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/christmas-bacon-3214/
I also made and smoked canadian bacon using pork tenderloins , I don't have a pic of them smoking but here they are in the brine
photo-67.jpg

On wednesday I started mixing a triple batch of cinnamon rolls, the mixer decided it wasn't in the Christmas spirit and stopped dead, I kept going and had to knead by hand.... they rose, i rolled them out, rolled them up and into pans, into the freezer til last night... took them out overnight rise and they here they are ready to be baked with the bacon...
photo-55-5.jpg

bacon in the grill
photo-55-6.jpg

bacon came out and cinnamon rolls in
photo-57-5.jpg

finished cinnamon rolls
photo-58-3.jpg

Breakfast - cinnamon rolls, canadian bacon, bacon, and eggs
photo-59-2.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone!

I have been away for the week and unable to use my Mak. Now that I am back, I wanted to try something different. Filet Mignon stuffed with Point Reyes blue cheese.

First, got some baked potatoes going on the Mak. Rubbed with EVOO and topped with sea salt. Then on to the Mak at 350°F for about an hour.

IMG_3513.jpg

Made a mixture of blue cheese, butter, and salt and rolled in plastic wrap and into the fridge for hardening. Will top the filets with a slice of this when they come off the grill.

When the potatoes were done, cranked the Mak up to high. While the grill was coming up to temp, made a slit in the filets and stuffed with the blue cheese:

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

Seasoned the steaks with Big Poppa's Double Secret Steak Rub:

IMG_3522.jpg

Then on to the grill grates (had to get a couple of black flakes off):

IMG_3524.jpg

Steaks are done:

IMG_3525.jpg

Plated up with a couple of slices of the hardened mixture of butter, blue cheese, and salt that I made earlier:

IMG_3526.jpg

Cooked medium-medium rare, just how the family likes it:

IMG_3528.jpg

This was fantastic if you like blue cheese! First time to cook filets, and first time to stuff with blue cheese (other than burgers). Came out great and will try again!

Rip

Christmas Eve Treat

Our Christmas Eve menu is a tradition and I wasn't about to suggest any major changes...however, it can't hurt to add some ribs, right Sparky?

I've been itching to try the new BPS Chili EVOO, this seemed like a great time!
IMG_2719sm.jpg

But first I have to smoke some cheddar cheese and finish up the last batch of garden peppers....
IMG_2717sm.jpg

After a liberal rub of Chili EVOO (this stuff is great! It has a heat that spreads slowly around your taste buds..I have several ideas kicking for this product!), and Yardbird/Soileau's, it's on to the MAK @smoke for 30 minutes, then 90 minutes at 275.
IMG_2721sm.jpg

Looks like these guys are ready for some FL!
IMG_2722sm.jpg

Oh Yeah!
IMG_2724sm.jpg

Foiled and back on for another hour at 275, then sauced and set until the toothpick test is passed. Half were hot wing sauced and the other were Spicy BBQ.
IMG_2725sm.jpg

After a short rest they were sliced and carefully arranged like shrimp around a large serving dish...went to the next room to retrieve the camera...and what the! The locusts had descended and over half of them were gone!!! Oh well, I think we have a new menu item for Christmas Eve!

Merry Christmas everyone!

jimsbarbecue

Christmas Dinner

Dinner was Strube Brisket and Rib Eye Roast and Turkey. The ribs shown are going to the second part of the family Christmas at my nephew's house. That is where the beer pong etc. Gets going. Also included a photo of the family on Skype with my niece who is away at school in France.
CanonM40281-M.jpg

Turkey Prep
Christmas-2011-0319-M.jpg

The Brisket
Christmas-2011-0322-M.jpg

Strube Rib Eye which was to die for!
Christmas-2011-0323-M.jpg

I place all the trimmings on a top rack above the roast to baste
Christmas-2011-0324-M.jpg

The Turkeys and the Ribs were cooked on my Big Poppa Smokers Signature edition Mak 2 Star
Christmas-2011-0328-M.jpg

Christmas-2011-0336-M.jpg

Christmas-2011-0334-M.jpg

Christmas-2011-0325-M.jpg

My Niece from France . Here her cousins and sisters are having the Christmas Photo taken with her.
Christmas-2011-0331-M.jpg

Hobbit

Christmas Prime Rib

First time Posting a cook...

Started with a 6# Prime Rib

Some EVOO, a little Bovine Bold, Garlic, Salt and Pepper

View attachment 1019

On to the MAK at 220 for about 3 hours

View attachment 1017

Looking for a medium rare
View attachment 1016

View attachment 1018

Dinner all plated up
View attachment 1020

Thanks for looking,

Merry Christmas

I remember a thread about posting pictures, but I can't find it. Can someone send me the link so I can post real pictures?

Thanks,

r/Hobbit

Hobbit

Some snacks before dinner

Feeling the need for stuffed mushrooms.

Basic recipe is from the Healthy Heart Cookbook but they taste good anyway

Started with some mushrooms:

View attachment 1026

All plated up and ready to get happy

View attachment 1027

Party in the smoker box

View attachment 1028

After an hour of smoke then a 25 minute turn on the grill at 425 and all done

View attachment 1025

The parmesan cheese took the smoke really well and they were yummy

Thanks for looking.

Meat Man

Christmas Cook Turducken & Prime Rib

What a great day family, food , sun shine, and the Bears:(
IMG_3103_7003_edited-1.jpg

Got a great day to cook!
photoMA31690694-0001_edited-1.jpg

First Turducken on the Mak, looks great!
IMG_3112_7009_edited-1.jpg

Cajun Dressing, Cajun Rub smells outta sight
IMG_3118_7015_edited-1.jpg

Prime Rib turned out really nice 17lbs, 9 hours on the grill.
IMG_3123_7020_edited-1.jpg

Wishing you and your a blessed Holiday and a Happy New Year!

Last edited:

RickB

Well let's see if we can double that payout. Twas Christmas Dinner.

Smoked some nuts and cheese for cocktails.
Sure were tasty

IMG_0931.jpg

Got to get going on dinner. Cooked some lobsters and marinated some filets.

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

Got the bechamel going for the lobster. A little paprika,sherry and cayenne pepper. In goes the lobster.

IMG_0937.jpg

Get the steaks on the grill

IMG_0940.jpg

Fill the shells with lobster and top with a mix of parmesion cheese and panko bead crumbs. Onto the mak

IMG_0941.jpg

Sautee a little asparagus with evoo and balsalmic vineger.

IMG_0944.jpg

And there you go. Filets with Lobster Thermador.

IMG_0945.jpg

Oh and don't forget desert. No it was not cooked on the mak

IMG_0934.jpg

Rip

Ham for Christmas

My wife bought a 10lb Pre-cooked spiral cut ham.
IMG_2730sm.jpg

BPS Mussini's Balsamic w/coffee for glue and Plowboy's Yardbird. On to the MAK at 225 for about 4 hours, then up to 300 until IT140, and baste twice with a Maple Syrup based glaze (dilute the syrup with a little water and add some Soileau's cajun for a little kick). Oh yeah, cooked over a pan of water, (thanks Squirt)
IMG_2734sm.jpg

The spiral cuts really helped with smoke absorption, everyone raved about the flavor!
IMG_2735sm.jpg

This morning the kitchen is filled with the aroma of Ham & Bean soup in the crockpot!

Last edited:

squirtthecat

Not yer Momma's Traditional Christmas Eve Dinner

SEVENTEEN pound pan of lasagna.. :eek:

20111224151533.jpg

90 minutes of hardwood smoke at 275*..

20111224174133.jpg

Hammertime.

20111224175919.jpg

Considering it was a joint effort between myself (never made lasagna before, and that pan has sat unused for almost 16 years), and my Mother In Law (who has long since forgotten how to make lasagna), it turned out great!

We did have a little help from the budding young cook's bible..

20111223201653.jpg

Thanks Katy and 'Betty' for your assistance... :cool:

Top Bottom