Acadian/Canadian Bacon

squirtthecat

;)

Mixed up some of Hab's Canadian Bacon cure (from the Bradley Smoker forum). And added a Cajun twist to it..

20111224112630.jpg

A little taste of Ville Platte.

20111224112644.jpg

A 2.25 and a 2 pound top loin, rubbed up and vacuum sealed for a week in the fridge.

20111224114647.jpg

We'll check back next Saturday... (I'll flip/massage them every day while they are residing in the lettuce crisper)

squirtthecat

I gave them a flip/flop/slap before we left for Chicago this morning. Lots of liquids are being pulled out of the loins already. The Morton Tenderquick is doing it's magic...

squirtthecat

Time to smoke!

Rinsed and banded up.

IMGP7550.JPG

I was going to hang them, but wanted to try making a cradle of sorts. Dug out a cheapo rib rack and bent it to shape.

IMGP7553.JPG

In we go.. 225*, top shelf of the MAK.

IMGP7554.JPG

IMGP7555.JPG

90 minutes later... Getting some color now.

IMGP7579.JPG

IMGP7580.JPG

They might be done in an hour or so - we'll check back then.

squirtthecat

Cough cough cough...

IMGP7585.JPG

Done!

IMGP7584.JPG

IMGP7592.JPG

One is just a bit short of the temp I want, so they are in the crockpot on 'low' while we head to church.

squirtthecat

These are the ones..

51dEZlD1OfL._SS500_.jpg

Not sure where he got them at, but they appear to be available from a number of online and "brick & mortar" kitchen stores.

squirtthecat

Time to slice...

IMGP7673.JPG

:eek:

Ok, after we staged a slight diversion - time to slice.

IMGP7677.JPG

Bagged up and ready for the freezer. Kept a sammich bag full in the fridge for snaking on.

IMGP7679.JPG

Good stuff. A bit on the salty side, but it tends to mellow out after some time in the chill chest.

I might look at mixing up Hab's "Basic Cure" instead of using MTQ next time. And using some salt free Cajun spice..

squirtthecat

How far across the house to you have to throw the first slice to distract them?

Just putting her food bowl up on the washing machine did the trick..

The 'big girls' have been giving her a pretty hard time, so she stays elevated as much as possible. She sleeps up in a Longaberger basket on top of the cabinets. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom