Post Christmas Prime Rib, Part 1

ACW3

I didn’t get to do my rib roast at Christmas, so I decided that the New Year would not start before I cooked one. I started out with some fresh horseradish root from my neighbor’s garden. Here is a picture of what fresh horseradish looks like before I started to shred it.

IMG_7042.jpg

The next picture is the coarse shred with my food processor.

IMG_7044.jpg

And finally, a finer shred prior to coating the rib roast. I had a partial jar of Urbaniak’s horseradish that was bought for me from one of their stores in Erie, PA, so I added some freshly grated horseradish to the jar to insure that I had sufficient horseradish for dinner.

IMG_7045.jpg

More to follow in Part 2.

Art

ACW3

Post Christmas Prime Rib, Part 2

This is what an eight pound rib roast looks like with shredded horseradish encrusting it. I rubbed the rib roast with some Annie’s Roasted Garlic EVOO, added some Big Poppa’s double Secret Rub, and then covered the roast with the horseradish. Last year I used some Zatarain's mustard instead of the EVOO.

IMG_7059.jpg

Here it is on the grill and ready to cook. I used BD oak flavored pellets on the Smoke setting on my MAK for the first hour.

IMG_7062.jpg

Then I kicked the temp up to 225 until I reached an IT of 125. Part way through the cook I had to tent the roast so I wouldn’t burn the horseradish. I believe it came out really well.

IMG_7068.jpg

While the meat was cooking I started to prep my Hasselback potatoes. I started by peeling the potatoes and then slicing them most of the way through without actually cutting all the way through. Two wooden spoons do the trick here.

IMG_7063.jpg

Into a pan and ready for the melted butter, salt and pepper, and eventually some three cheese blend (Parmesan, Romano, and Asiago) on top to finish.

IMG_7064.jpg

The finale will be in Part 3.

Art

ACW3

Post Christmas Prime Rib, Part 3

The cooking is finally done. Here are the finished Hassellback potatoes.

IMG_7073.jpg

Here is the finished rib roast. Time to rest before carving.

IMG_7071.jpg

Here is a finished plate complete with my homemade version of Caesar salad. I don’t use any egg. Instead I use feta cheese as my binder. It is really good. I have been using this recipe for well over 25 years.

IMG_7075.jpg

A good beef dinner would not be complete without a good red wine. I like this particular Cabernet a lot.

IMG_7076.jpg

By the time we finished eating, nobody wanted any dessert. The word “stuffed” comes to mind. A great meal and great leftovers.
Art

ACW3

Here is the basic recipe for Hasselback Potatoes.

Recipe By : Stockholm's Hasselbacken Restaurant

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 ea medium Maine or Eastern potatoes
1/2 cup butter melted
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbl dry bread crumbs (I used Panko)
2 Tbl Parmesan or Romano cheese freshly grated (I used the Parmesan, Romao, Asiago grated cheese in mine)

1. Preheat the oven to 425.

2. With a sharp knife, partially slice through each potato at 1/4-inch
intervals, but not all the way through. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to
prevent the knife from cutting all the way through.

3. Arrange the potatoes, cut sides up, in a well-buttered, shallow baking
pan. Brush each potato with about 2 teaspoons of the melted butter, and
sprinkle generously with salt, dividing the total amount evenly.

4. Bake the potatoes uncovered for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the dry bread
crumbs evenly over the potatoes and drizzle them with the remaining butter.
Bake them for 20 minutes more.

5. Sprinkle them with the grated cheese. Baste them with the drippings in
the pan and bake them for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until they seem tender
when you insert a sharp fork near the bottom.

I started in the oven and finished on the grill.

sparky

dude, art. thats a great meal. i wish i had a plate of it. love the way you cooked the potatoes. nice cook buddy.

warpath

My eyes watered at the sight of all that horseradish.. really like the loos of the spuds..
I don't know where I would find eastern potatoes around here now I have to look..

seeya
Dave

Top Bottom