Lion roast!

Pete

Not a typo! I will be smooking this on Saturday along with a whole bunch of other relatively exotic meats for my wild and crazy 30th birthday bash.

Will post the recipe tomorrow, and then photos & results on Sunday!

Obligatory pic
large.jpg

What's Needed:

4lb roast of lion
2tbs salt
2tbs black pepper
1/2tbs rosemary
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 small onion, peeled
2ribs celery
1/2lb beef suet
1pint hot water
2oz Cognac
Bordelaise sauce

Here's How
In baking pan, season with salt, pepper and rosemary
Add garlic, onion and celery to pan
Spike on beef suet with wooden picks
Bake in 350 oven for 1hr
Add 1pint of hot water and Cognac
Return to oven for 1 hr, basting frequently with liquid in pan
Serve w/ Bordelaise.

Last edited:

Bear

PETA would be all over ALL of us for everything we do.

Vegetarian: An old Indian word meaning "bad hunter".

BradT

That got a real laugh out loud out of me, thanks.

CarterQ

PETA would be all over ALL of us for everything we do.

Awesome, very true. Although I do feel that I treat animals with the utmost respect- they recieve the finest rubs and sauces and they are cooked on state of the art BBQ equipment using the best pellets.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Pete you are a better man than I Brussel sprouts look better to me and I have to plug my nose and swallow them whole!

KyNola

Pete,
I'm assuming you have smoked lion, bear, etc etc before and know the proper internal temps to take them. How do you know when they're safely cooked?

Pete

I have not so this would be a long-shot for me but fortunately the butcher supplied me with some recipes and instructions for marinating and basting along with cooking temp and internal/pull temp!

Pete

BP I did some research before I got this because I had the same concern when my friend first linked me to the butcher. Bottom line is that the meat is good to go in the USA. If it was wrong of me to post because of possible controversy I'm sorry and you can smoke this thread.

KyNola

Pete, I think it only fair that I tell you I questioned the legality of the meat. I too have researched it further and according to the FDA, it is legal to sell and consume lion meat as long as the original source of the meat is from an FDA inspected farm and that the butcher is also FDA registered and state inspected. Czimer's Game and Seafood is FDA registered and state inspected. I didn't mean to cause you any ill will nor create a controversy on the forum.

BP, I thought it only fair I set the record straight.

Big Poppa

Administrator
KY and Pete this is a great example of a great collection of people and how a forum can work. It is a fair and open dialogue.....it teaches us stuff, and it shows that the intent of both parties was to watch the back of a fellow forumite. Ky was not doing anything but making sure that Pete wasnt innocently getting int trouble and Pete was gracious in explaing his situation and volunteering to remove his thread.... keep it upa dn lets have fun

Pete

No problem at all KY! Btw, my wife named our female dog Nola but she has never been to Kentucky...

Top Bottom