Smokin' Some Cheese

ACW3

Well, the weather was just right for some serious cold smokin’ yesterday. The outside temperature only got to freezing. Since I had spent $100 on cheese not too long ago, it was just a matter of firing up the MAK with some BD Sugar Maple pellets and smokin’ away. The first picture is half the cheese I bought. You can see the variety of flavors (bacon cheddar, Cajun cheddar, habanero cheddar, mountain cheddar super sharp, provolone, pepperjack, chipotle cheese, horseradish cheddar, and garlic cheddar).

IMG_7094.jpg

The next picture is on the MAK. It is cheaper to do two batches than buy another MAK.

IMG_7095.jpg

The last picture is off the MAK after 3 ½ hours of cold smoke.

IMG_7097.jpg

I didn’t take any pictures of the vacuum sealed packages. After you have seen one, they all look alike. On the next batch I plan to take the mountain cheddar super sharp and coat it with some paprika before smoking. I also plan to try a different flavored wood. I haven’t decided which one. I have apple, cherry, and peach to name a few of my choices.

Now comes the hard part. WAITING!!! I’ll check back in four to six weeks and sample some of them.

Art

Rip

Looking good Art! Smoked cheese has been an unplanned (by me) benefit of having a MAK2. We always keep a supply on hand. My vegetarian relatives are always asking for more, so I keep them supplied too.

TentHunter

Art you found my weak spot, and that's a nice spread!

Now comes the hard part. WAITING!!! I’ll check back in four to six weeks and sample some of them.

I don't worry too much about waiting. Try opening a pack or two as it ages to enjoy how the smoke flavor changes, mellows and works deeper into the cheese. You can always seal it back up and put it back away. :)

Last edited:

sparky

thats so cool art. i need to try that. i love smoked cheese. do i have to wait to eat it. cant i smoke some and eat the next day?

ACW3

From past experience (and through recommendations from both Cliff and Nepas), I wait it out. The smoke really mellows out into all the cheese. You remember "mellow", right Sparky? I'd wait. The trick is to have a supply of smoked cheese available in the pipeline so you don't have to wait very long. That is part of the reason I bought so much cheese. I also have a bunch of neighbors who are champing at the bit to get some from me.

Art

TentHunter

do i have to wait to eat it. cant i smoke some and eat the next day?

It's up to you!

At first the smoke smells and reminds you of a campfire because it's concentrated on the outside layer with little or no smoke flavor on the inside. Then as the smoke penetrates deeper into the cheese, it becomes less strong, mellowing as the flavors meld.

I tend to vac-pac most of mine to let it mellow, but some immediate munching always seems to somehow take place! ;)

Try it and see how you like it.

Last edited:

TentHunter

Art, if you're ever get up this way I'll take you to Heini's Cheese chalet: Heini's.

In their showroom they have samples of over 50 kinds of cheese. They sell about 70 varieties. It's a cheese lovers haven.

ACW3

Sounds like a road trip opportunity. However, I think I will wait until after the spring thaw, and earthquake season is over.

Art

Top Bottom