Remove cold smoke box.

Meat Man

We are going to use our MAK 2 Stars for comps this year, and to save on space are going to take off the cold smoke box. I don't really see this as a problem, but my question is those vents cut into the side of the grill for the cold smoke box. What would you use to seal them up, temperaillery.

Thanks Will

Meat Man

Sparky I got one better!

Actually I'm waiting for the,

imagesqtbnANd9GcT_1qogu65DpcG8zQsWNeKMCEx5xOzHDgyFMo-2r43MXT1nQxK0GA.jpg

imagesqtbnANd9GcQuknzwSVrdlYfUTyg0VWugxA0-MMKhTNONc_hO1b4owzTsw1Kb.jpg

FOUR STAR GENERAL

jimsbarbecue

the vents that go in the smoke box need to remain open, even with the smoke box removed. The Mak 2 star without the smoker box attached and the pellet hopper full is a little tilt happy toward the pellet hopper. I would recommend moving two wheels so they are under the pellet hopper.

Meat Man

Thanks I didn"t think about the offset with the wheels, how tilt happy is it? if its just a little that would be east to fix with a stick.

Chili Head

Meat Man you could use a saw horse under the pellet hopper. You could custom fit it if you get the brackets that use 2 by 4's.

MAK DADDY

Yes you can remove the warmer box, no you can't plug off the vents they are an important part of the exhaust.
Like Jim said it will be heavy on the hopper side but only as your moving it around.
Good luck with your comps this year!

TentHunter

I created a computer model and ran a simulation for this scenario. Here's what I discovered:

Removing the cold smoker box from the 2 Star General will indeed make it heavier on the hopper side. This imbalance during a competition will result in the 2 Star rapidly tipping as you open the hood to check your ribs causing the ribs to catapult off of your grill and land on the grill of the competing team next to you. Your sauce mixing with their sauce will in turn cause that team's lead cook to respond by throwing your ribs right back at you. You will react by ducking, causing the ribs to hit an unsuspecting team member on the other side of you. Food will start flying from that team as well. Tension will rise, tempers will flare causing the situation to escalate into a food fight involving most of the competitors causing a mass disqualification of all teams involved. The event will always be remembered as the "BBQ Brawl Royal."

Why risk it? My humble recommendation is play it safe and get a MAK 1 Star for your competitions!

Just trying to be helpful ;).

KristenBPS

Oh my word TH, thanks for the laugh! I think I startled my fellow cubicle mates by laughing so hard. I definitely want to see the video of that food fight, put the ones my family used to have to shame.

Top Bottom