Start the new year off with a big contest!

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK Kids here we go again....what happened to winter? There is no excuse for not piling it on this week!

First place $25.00 store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15.00 Store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $10.00 Store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

Every other entry gets $5 store credit just for entering!

bflodan

A Little Crab

OK, Ill start it off.. We havent had a nice crab dinner in forever and we where suppose to hit LV Strip tonight for one but since my folks where sick we had nowhere for the kids to go.. Headed out to the Market and bought some nice Dungeness and Snow Crab Clusters...

I did a couple dungeness clusters for crab cakes on the smoke setting for about 45 min.

crab001.jpg

While that was on I made a tarragon aioli using evoo, fresh lemon juice, 1 egg yolk, fresh garlic, salt, a dash of pepper sauce, plus about 1/4 cup almost boiling water all into the processor and then stirred in fresh chopped tarragon....

crab002.jpg

crab003.jpg

Pulled the crab and deshelled it also chopped up a green onion... Combined that with some of the aioli and some panko... Formed into cakes and coated with some more panko..

crab006.jpg

crab008.jpg

Put the rest of the legs on smoke for about 20 min then up to 300 for about 10min as i basted them with some clarified butter, fresh garlic, bps garlic salt w/p and soileaus ca fe cheaux..Put them in the box and cranked it to heat up the mak griddle.. A little evoo and then put the cakes on for about 4min per side..

crab009.jpg

crab010.jpg

crab011.jpg

Served the cakes atop the aioli with a little drizzle of it also and a little mesclun salad... also made some more clarified butter for dipping..

crab015.jpg

It was excellent!!! Tasted as good if not better than some of the dinners we get on the Strip!! Its all in the MAK!!

My 3 year old son Insisted that I get a picture of his meal and post it on hear also.. He enjoyed some dinasaur chicken nuggets, steamed carrots and applesauce...

crab016.jpg

Last edited:

Deb

Lasagna - the healthy one

started by making a sauce - it's a fairly quick one. Ground turkey, onion, garlic, red pepper, carrots, zucchini, oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, crushed red pepper, cayenne, s&p
photo-69.jpg

into the MAK
photo-73.jpg

after the turkey is cooked & veggies soft add two cans of hand crushed tomatoes
photo-75.jpg

some of the ingredients
photo-72.jpg

I don't like most fat free products but the ricotta in the picture is good. It's made by a CT company and they don't add a bunch of extra ingredients, it's milk, starter and salt. since it's non fat it's a little drier than whole milk ricotta but the flavor is good.

Cheese filling - I took a little more than 1/2 the qt of ricotta, egg beaters (an egg worth), salt, pepper, garlice, some milk to make it a creamier consistency, and a couple handfuls of chopped baby spinach

A layer of sauce, a layer of whole wheat lasagna, ricotta mix, a little part skim mozzarella (I only used ~ 1/3 lb total), the 2nd layer of ricotta had some shredded parmesan instead of mozz
photo-69-1.jpg

ready to bake
photo-77.jpg

ready to come out (it's starting to get dirty in there)
photo-70-1.jpg

dinner
photo-69-1-1.jpg

Rip

Shrimp on the barbie

Trying to eat a little healthier...

We decided to have shrimp for dinner. The shrimp was marinaded in Gradassi's garlic EVOO and Plowboys Jerk. While the shrimp got happy, I made an avocado aioli to go with it. Avocado, lime juice, lite mayonnaise (just a 1/4 cup), serrano, jalapeño, cilantro, roasted garlic, and a little salt & pepper. Into the food processor. It took a lot of will power to not just sit and eat this with some chips and another Pacifico!
IMG_2755sm.jpg

Cooked up some red onions with garlic EVOO on the MAK Griddle. Half will be used for the shrimp and half will be added to black beans.
IMG_2757sm.jpg

Doing the shrimp on the griddle today.
IMG_2759sm.jpg

All done.
IMG_2760sm.jpg

Crisp up some tortilla's, did both flour and corn ones. These are flour ones.
IMG_2764sm.jpg

Time to assemble! Fixings were: tomatoes, onions, avocado aioli, avocado slices, smoked jalapeño cheddar, lime slices, and black beans with onions. Here's Nancy's plate.
IMG_2765sm.jpg

And here's mine.
IMG_2768sm.jpg

Maybe not exactly diet food, but fairly heathy, and the flavors were awesome!

sparky

sparky's mak-dinner

my god i believe he's gone mad. you can't use those rubs like that. theres a fine line between madness and genius. you decide.

weekendcook012.jpg

da players

weekendcook031.jpg

guess i been craving potatoes lately. potatoes, onions and halabenos w/ annies and desert gold. if it works don't fix it.

weekendcook038.jpg

and oldie but a goodie. remember the video. i do.

weekendcook042.jpg

was that to much?

weekendcook043.jpg

ribs, tri-tip, potatoes and screamin onions. can he do no wrong. i believe the boys a genius.

tri-tips done. oh, juicy. nice job sparky.

weekendcook054.jpg

and waa laa. the perfect meal and this weeks winning entry. thank you, thank you. tri-tip, wicked potatoes, screamin onion, broccoli and my moo juice.

weekendcook059.jpg

one more pic. i like this one.

weekendcook062.jpg

the rib was for a late night snack.

Last edited:

FLBentRider

French Onion soup, Polenta and Ribs

Time for a little appetizer
Some onions
DSC_1783.jpg

A while later, with some beef stock, wine, etc...
DSC_1786.jpg

Received some crocks for Christmas
DSC_1788.jpg

After some time under the broiler
DSC_1789.jpg

Three racks of baby backs. Trying to adapt an Alton Brown recipe to the MAK. This one uses a rub, with a foil wrap and a braising liquid that will be a version of the foil love.

I put just a dusting of the rub on, put them on the MAK @250F with perfect mix for about 1.5 hours
DSC_1790.jpg

Two layers of foil, the rub, and a liquid consisting of White wine (chardonnay), white wine vinegar, honey and garlic. The original recipe calls for worchestershire, but that stuff is verboten with me.
DSC_1791.jpg

After 2 hours in the foil @275F. I put the ribs on SMOKE to keep them warm.
DSC_1792.jpg

This is where I think it gets interstesting. Carefully pour the liquid from the foil into a sauce pot. I de-fat it at this point, using a fat separator. Bring this to a boil and reduce. Once it starts to thicken it will thicken quickly, so watch it closely.

After the sauce thickens, I basted the ribs with the sauce and let it set.

DSC_1793.jpg

DSC_1794.jpg

To be continued

RickB

Well I'll give it a try. Got the craveing for a little lamb.

Rubbed with a little evoo, garlic and rosemary.

IMG_0986.jpg

On for a little smoke

IMG_0987.jpg

One hour later up to 450 for a little crust. Time to put the potato gratin on also

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

A little veggy and some lamb aujus

IMG_1004.jpg

One hour later it's time to eat.

IMG_1007.jpg

squirtthecat

Smoked Chicken and Wild Rice Faux Red Risotto stuffed peppers...

Got all that? (just winging it here)

Split Chix and Head Country.

IMGP7725.JPG

Some of this, some of that.

IMGP7731.JPG

Some of those.

IMGP7732.JPG

Looks like Risotto. Sort of.

IMGP7733.JPG

Pulled chicken.

IMGP7734.JPG

Smoker Sentry in training. She has some sleep disorders we need to address.

IMGP7735.JPG

Everyone in the pool, hot and ready to go.

IMGP7737.JPG

Peppers are stuffed (thank goodness I had 1 more in the fridge) and into the 350° MAK.

IMGP7742.JPG

I made WAY too much filling... Hope it's good.

20120108171237.jpg

1 hour later - Let's eat!

IMGP7746.JPG

smokerjoe

Breakfast Fatty

This is the first fatty I've tried to make. The filling is potatoes, onions, cheese, and some smoke house mushrooms that I forgot to take pics of.
IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

IMG_6337.JPG

IMG_6348.JPG

IMG_6356.JPG

IMG_6358.JPG

IMG_6366.JPG

IMG_6370.JPG

Had it on a piece of toast with egg on top but forgot to take a pic of that I was hungry and it was good!

CarterQ

Leg o Lamb and Artichokes

My kids have interesting palates for their ages so tonight we did a request dinner- My 4 yr old son wanted lamb and my 2 yr old daughter wanted "chokies", fine by me, that will make a meal!

Store had small boneless legs of lamb so I took one and hit it with Desert Gold and Provencal seasoning and let it sit overnight-

f6826f64.jpg

Onto the MAK running oak @275

4f690953.jpg

Steamed some Artichokes while the lamb is cooking, the brown is frost damage, it gives them a great flavor, I love winter artichokes!

4eb25594.jpg

Lamb looking good

da37040f.jpg

Pull at 150 and let rest while we fire up the MAK for the chokes-

990b2093.jpg

Artichokes on the sear grate after getting some garlic EVOO and Desert Gold love-

e52add3e.jpg

b1447686.jpg

Slice the lamb, little more done than I like but it will work

bda0ec14.jpg

All served up with a nice Pinot and some wild rice-

2cd5e002.jpg

88b7edd9.jpg

This was a great dinner, it blows my wife and I away that our kids will eat things like lamb and artichokes but battle us when it comes to basic weekday dinner items! Oh well can't complain, just got to keep them from becoming Foodies!

Chili Head

Dang you guys knocked it outa the park this week!! Well done everyone!
I wish you all could win, all the entries looked great and I wanted to try them all.

The players:
bflodan - crab with tarragon aioli
Rip - Shrimp with avocado aioli
Sparky - Tri Tip
FLBentrider - French Onion soup and Ribs
RickB - Lamb and potato graten
Squirtthecat - Chicken stuffed peppers
Smokerjoe - Breakfast Fattie
CarterQ - Lamb and Artichokes

I'm starting with third place..

Third place goes to Sparky!
Sparky that tri tip looks really good! I like the onion with the habenero sauce too. I'll be trying that next time I fire up the MAK.

Second place goes to RIP!
Rip those little shrimp had me drooling! The avocado aioli with the serrano, jalapeño, cilantro, roasted garlic ect.. had to be outstanding! Nice flavors you had going there.
That meal looks perfect!

First place goes to bflodan!
Dan your crab cakes and crab legs with tarragon aioli looked outstanding!
I was sitting here trying to decide between you and Rip for the top spot and I kept going back to yours wanting a bite of those crab cakes! With fresh garlic, bps garlic salt with pepper and soileaus ca fe cheaux seasoning they had to have been tasty! Your entry has inspired me to try making this myself!

Seriously guys..everything looked really good! GREAT JOB!!

Thanks BP for hosting!

Top Bottom