Insulated 2 Star

bigchrisxxxl

Mac Daddy, I am sitting here cooking during the middle of our snow storm in Tacoma Washington and was wondering if you have any intention of upgrading the insulation in the 2 star as I also cook in the rain all the time, but find it difficult to keep those higher temps.

MAK DADDY

No, we have run many tests and the insulation doesn't make a big enough difference to pellet consumption or high temps. The big culprit to this is the induction fan drawing both cold air and moisture into the pit especially on higher temps at 115cfm. For now this is the best option for us but we are always exploring new ideas :) We constantly strive to improve our products as you can see in the many design changes in the 2012 model.
Best results for high temps is a clean pit and high btu pellets.

Chili Head

Bigchris one thing you can do is use a welding blanket covering just the hood and the back so you dont cover any vents. That will bump up your temps 30-40 degrees in single degree outside temps.

bigchrisxxxl

Welding. Blanket has worked well when it is cold, not so well when it is raining. I wonder if MAK is working on a custom rainproof cover that is fitted to the grill.

squirtthecat

Hey Bob, how bout some ductwork running flush across the backside to feed some pit warmed air to the fan? More of a winter accessory..

Chris, get a golf umbrellas and some big dang magnets. I'll find a picture of my Traeger set up once for cold rain conditions.

squirtthecat

Don't laugh, but it worked... (this was some late January rain - cold as all get out)

DSC00324.JPG

How I attached the umbrella to the welding magnet.

DSC00321.JPG

As long as the wind doesn't get to it, it works fine.

And yes, the umbrellas has a nice 'patina' now... ;)

scooter

That's clever STC. I've also seen people place those patio umbrellas next to their pits. The kind with the very heavy base so it won't blow over.

Top Bottom