Costco.....beef and some tips and commentary....

Big Poppa

Administrator
I want to get this out of the way first...I love Costco.
Costco is the only place where I can get prime meat within three towns. It is always available and is reasonably priced. I find it to be very inconsistent though....Here are some tips and observations...

The Steaks are usually in two or three packs. I find the uniformity in the two packs to be superior.

I avoid the three packs because there is always a runt or lesser steak bundled in.

I always check against choice as many time is has very similar marbling...occasionally the choice thats out is better.

I prefer to buy it in block form and cut and trim my own steaks. I do that when they have have roasts out.

The filets are choice and are the most consistent steak they offer and a great value.

Love the trimmed Tenderloin.

I buy stuff we cook at home at Costco. We shop at Sams for most of our comp stuff..except for brisket...STRUBE BABY

SmokinMAK

Thanks for the tips and comments BP. I prefer to get my beef and pork at Costco too - just superior to what is in the supermarkets around here.

Bear

I don't have a Costco anywhere near me. As far as I know, the only way I can get prime beef is online.

CarterQ

For the most part Costco does a good job on their meat, I have been buying full NY strips and Rib Eye strips and cutting my own steaks. Maybe I need to just buy in smaller cut quantities so if I do get a bad one it's not that big of a deal. BP Is right their filet is a great value and the most consistent thing I have found there. Never have tried the Online side but their prices look pretty reasonable. I think their inconsistency comes from using many suppliers in spot market situations, Tyson Fresh (IBP), Excel, JBS (Swift), and Cargill. They do this on the produce side and it gives them problems as well.

CarterQ

Just got back from my local Costco and they had a nice selection of prime beef, first time I'd seen it and it was reasonably priced.

Pokey

Agreed on all points. I've gotten decent chuckies and lamb there as well. Their pork ribs are also a good buy and good quality IMHO. But I've never seen pork shoulder or brisket, though. If they did, they'd be my only supplier for other than sausage.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Rack of lamb there is killer. It's Australian but fabulous. I like to cook it for snobs. "Colorado, right?". "No, Costco Australian!"

Top Bottom