BBQ Season starts! 1 27 contest!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Enter to win...Everybody wins....(except for me)

$25.00 First Place Store Credit for Big Poppa Smokers
$15 Second Place Store Credit for Big Poppa Smokers
$10 Third Place Store Credit For Big Poppa Smokers

Everybody else that posts a cook gets $5 bucks credit

Fire em up!

FLBentRider

St Louis spares

After a morning of Geocaching with my youngest son, we stopped by Sams for some baby backs.

Baby backs were $3.something/lb and spare ribs were $1.79 "Reduced for quick sale" SOLD.
DSC_2001.jpg

After a trim I put "Salt lick clone" A 3:3:1:1 ratio of Kosher salt:Black pepper:Granulated Garlic:Cayenne pepper on 2 of the racks, I left one "plain" for 2 reasons. 1. That mixture is a little much for my 7YO, and I wanted to see what just "foil love" would do by itself.

Onto #106 with Perfect mix
DSC_2002.jpg

After an hour
DSC_2004.jpg

time for some "foil love", then back onto the MAK for 2 hours

I drained the liquid from the foil into a pot, defatted and brought to a boil, reducing by 50%.

After the "foil love"
DSC_2005.jpg

DSC_2006.jpg

DSC_2007.jpg

Sliced and plated
"Spicy"
DSC_2008.jpg

"Plain"
DSC_2009.jpg

to be continued

FLBentRider

The ribs turned out great. The "salt lick clone" is very bold, and the sauce that the foil drippings makes is just great, a must try if you are going to do the "foil love".

The plain ribs are a great canvas for sauce, and a real hit with the kids!
the 7YO plate
DSC_2010.jpg

My (First) plate
DSC_2011.jpg

DSC_2012.jpg

"Honey, I'm just going to have 1 (more) beer"
DSC_2014.jpg

Done..
DSC_2013.jpg

Last edited:

Deb

It's all about cravings this week........ I have been craving a meatball sub for much of the week and then I was flipping between the cooking channels and cupcake wars was on..... chocolate cupcakes..... I need one.............. soooo, here we go

this morning I mixed up some meatballs and threw them on the MAK, cooked them almost all the way through
photo-71.jpg

then brought them inside and simmered in spaghetti sauce for a few hours... smoky pasta sauce is the most incredible smelling food......

these are ready to go back on the MAK to heat up while the cupcakes are baking.
photo-72.jpg

mixed up some chocolate cupcakes and put them in the MAK with the meatballs&sauce
photo-74.jpg

started prepping the sandwich stuff
we have this incredible roasted garlic ciabatta bread - look at all the chunks of roasted garlic - yum -- I spread some butter on this after I took the picture
photo-73.jpg

three weeks ago I smoked some cheese in the warming drawer of the MAK - I had done some fresh mozzarella and a chunk of regular - look at the color on these - the log is the fresh and the shredded is the regular
photo-75.jpg

photo-82.jpg

the cupcakes came out and the bread went on over the flame zone
photo-81.jpg

the sandwich -- fresh mozz on the bottom, meatballs&sauce, regular mozz , a little more sauce - under the broiler for a minute
photo-79.jpg
knife and fork was needed

then dessert: did I mention cravings? chocolate too - I didn't feel like regular frosting so I made some chocolate ganache - one with 60% chocolate and one with white chocolate and spread and drizzled and swirled while it was still warm ............
photo-77.jpg

very full and happy now

Last edited:

sparky

ding, ding, ding. winner. oh wait, i'm not the judge. that looks so good. man i'm hungry. i got to move to CT.

ACW3

Deb,
What a meal! I love meatball subs, not to mention the cupcakes. I think I need to go get a snack.

Art

smokerjoe

Bacon-Mushroom Cheeseburger & Kale chips

Local beef seasoned with BP Double Secret steak rub, worchestire & a sprinkle of 3 Eyz
Poppa, Momma and Baby Burger
IMG_6509.JPG

MMM Bacon
IMG_6511.JPG

Gotta try and be a bit healthy I guess
IMG_6510.JPG

IMG_6512.JPG

IMG_6531.JPG

Chili Head

Brisket Pie, Peas and Beats!

Today I made Brisket Pie.

005-8.jpg

I started off yesterday dusting my brisket with some CYM and John Henrys texas brisket rub then into the MAK burning hickory.

a.jpg

b.jpg

I tossed in a few turkey legs to take for dinner while at work last night too. These were dusted with garlic olive oil and desert gold.

h.jpg

Today to kick this off I chopped some mushrooms,carrots,garlic,celery,onion and a few sprigs of rosemary.

007-8.jpg

Next in a dutch oven with some EVOO I slowly cooked the onions. Once the onions were done I turned up the heat and added 2 pounds of cubed brisket and the rest of the chopped veggies, rosemary and 1 1/2 bottles of guiness. I then added some water just enough to cover the ingredients.

012-8.jpg

013-7.jpg

014-9.jpg

017-5.jpg

I let it simmer for 15 minutes then I covered it and put it into the oven for 2 hours at 425º

continued..

Last edited:

Chili Head

After two hours the filling looked like this.

021-7.jpg

I gave it a quick stir and added 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and stirred that in.

I rolled out the puff pastry to cover the bottom of the iron skillet.

025-6.jpg

I next added in the brisket filling and covered that with the remaining cheese.

026-7.jpg

027-7.jpg

I then placed the top dough on the pie and just rolled the edges up and gave it an egg wash.

028-6.jpg

Now things get interesting...and not in a good way.

Continued..

Chili Head

I had the MAK set on high for an hour to get it all pre heated up and ready. My bad for not checking on it earlier but I had just smoked some cheese a couple hours before without issue. Anyway.. I go out to put the pie in the MAK and it's beeping and flashing an error code..YIKES! After dumping the pellets (love the pellet door) and looking to make sure the auger isnt jammed I was out of time and I had to get the Brisket Pie going. So plan B went into effect and I cooked the pie in the house oven at 375º for 45 minutes.

031-4.jpg

033-3.jpg

037.jpg

038-3.jpg

It turned out fantastic! The pie crust was buttery and flakey and the filling with the brisket and guiness was so savory and rich. We loved it!
I have no doubt this would have been even better finished off in the MAK with some more smokey goodness but I'll have to try it again another day.

I wasnt going to post this at all since the finished product wasnt cooked with Pellets but I thought the brisket was and that may be good enough to be a valid entry. Plus it looks rock"n awesome! Hehehe

Last edited:

sparky

friday night dinner.

welp, this weekend is getting off on a good note. the wife has class, daughter has a study group to go to. son, well its friday. he came out of the shower smelling like a french @&*#e and now he's gone. a quiet house. what should i have for dinner. i got it. pork, it does a body good.

fired up #336 and away we go.

rib-fest041.jpg

broke out my 2 favorite rubs

rib-fest046.jpg

found a BB rib and some guy fiate tequila lime chicken sausage.

rib-fest051.jpg

bonding going on here.

rib-fest056.jpg

sausage are done. yes. i believe this is going to be good.

rib-fest057.jpg

put some horseradish sauce, spicy mustard and chipolte tabasco on the plate. ate all four sausage. i did offer to share but no one was home. lol, lol.

rib-fest062.jpg

rib came off. oh, shiny. look at the spices on it. a friend of mine makes his own sauce. he gave me a jar today. good stuff.

rib-fest068.jpg

look how nice that looks.

rib-fest067.jpg

nice smoke ring buddy. yes, smoking is something i'm good at.

rib-fest072.jpg

i must say a very fine evening. i was long in bed before anyone got home. vun di pa.

scooter

Chicken Enchilada Lasagne tonight. It starts with a MAK'd chicken. Hit it with olive oil and The Rub Co Lemon Herb rub

IMG_8461.jpg

Now pull the chicken into pieces and assemble the rest of the ingreds. Some non traditional enchilada ingreds in there to tip the scales into the healthy side. this is part of what we eat to loose weight!
IMG_8464.jpg

Cook the vegis then add the meat and some of the sauce
IMG_8467.jpg

Now start layering
IMG_8471.jpg

Back in the MAK to cook. Sorry for the dark pic
IMG_8472.jpg

Ready to pull
IMG_8478.jpg

Add some beer and enjoy!
IMG_8482.jpg

bflodan

Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken

Picked up some nice Bone in Chicken Breasts, stuffed with some Herb Goat Cheese and seasoned up with some of the favorites and onto the MAK at 275

balsamicchicken001.jpg

balsamicchicken002.jpg

I chopped up an onion and 2 pears and sauteed in a little evoo... I then made a balsamic reduction and added it the mixture..

balsamicchicken005.jpg

balsamicchicken006.jpg

I added it to the MAK along with some fresh green beans that where tossed in a little evoo and some Little Louies with pepper..When the Chicken hit 150 I turned up the MAK to 325 until it finished..

balsamicchicken009.jpg

Done, served with a Parmesan Risotto

balsamicchicken011.jpg

balsamicchicken012.jpg

Came out great!!! We have done these before.... The balsamic pear reduction just goes so well with the goat cheese and chicken!!

squirtthecat

Frozen Butt Bowl

Pork Butts were 1.29/lb this week. Time to get busy.

6 in the office freezer.
4 more in my upright freezer. (yeah, I know.............)
And 3 I picked up on the way home.

Send%2520To%2520Picasa2.jpg

15 pounds is for a friend's Superbowl party, and the rest..

Capture.JPG

The usual suspects... (and numb fingers)

Send%2520To%2520Picasa3.jpg

14 hours later... WA LAA.

Send%2520To%2520Picasa4.jpg

The MAK butts came along a few hours later. All piled in the Nebraskan Cambro stack.

Send%2520To%2520Picasa5.jpg

Pull, pull, pull, weigh, package, pull, pull.

Send%2520To%2520Picasa6.jpg

Last 4 went on around 1 this morning, and finished around Noon. Lots of grease...

I need a nap!

Send%2520To%2520Picasa7.jpg

Last edited:

Chili Head

I like big butts I can not lie!! :D
Awesome load of butts squirt! Your office workers gotta be thrilled you work there!

TentHunter

Today was our annual Church luncheon & business meeting. I was tasked with bringing something smoked off the pit. Ok, how about a Beef Brisket?

A 15 pound full packer started at Midnight last night... Trimmed, homemade beef rub applied, and tucked into bed for the night on the MAK 1 Star @ 225° with Black Walnut pellets.
CHBRSKT1.JPG

Time to tuck ME into bed. Sweet dreams!

7 a.m. - She's looking (and smelling) good!
CHBRSKT2.JPG

Braising liquid mixed & onions sliced...
CHBRSKT3.JPG

All into a foil pan, covered tightly with foil and back in to braise until time to leave.
CHBRSKT4.JPG

At Church we got the Weber/Stoven setup and the brisket back on. It might look sunny, but it was very cold (well below freezing) and windy. My Big Poppa hoodie kept me warm!
CHBRSKT5.JPG

Time to trim & separate the Flat from the Point.
CHBRSKT6.JPG

Flat, Point & Burnt Ends - Trimmed, re-dusted with some more rub & put back on a hot grill to finish.
CHBRSKT7.JPG

Trimmed three ways: Flat - sliced, Some of the Point was sliced & the rest Pulled. The juice was poured over top, and the onions put in a bowl. It's hard to tell but there was a smoke ring - Sorry about the grease on the lens.
CHBRSKT8.JPG

Folks waiting in line to get food got to sample some of the burnt ends. They were like candy!
CHBRSKT9.JPG

Where's the Plated Shot? Well it didn't happen. Hopefully this shot shows says it all!
CHBRSKT10.JPG

Hey, at least I figured out there was grease on the lens!

Thanks!

Filets and Lobster Tails

Picked up a couple of lobster tails and filets from Costco. Decided on serving the lobster tails with a tarragon/lemon vinaigrette.

First, put some baked potatoes with EVOO and sea salt on at 325°F for an hour:

IMG_3696.jpg

Here are the filets, seasoned with BPS Double Secret, and the tails:

IMG_3699.jpg

Cut the tails lengthwise:

IMG_3703.jpg

Made the tarragon/lemon vinaigrette:

IMG_3706.jpg

Took the potatoes off and cranked the Mak up to max. Put the filets on the grill grates:

IMG_3707.jpg

Added the lobster tails, brushed with EVOO:

IMG_3709.jpg

After flipping lobster tails, added tarragon/lemon vinaigrette to the tails. Also put the potatoes back on:

IMG_3711.jpg

Off the grill and filets resting:

IMG_3713.jpg

All plated up:

IMG_3715.jpg

This was excellent. Good weekend. Real good tri tip and real good steak and lobster. Looking forward to next weekend!

Top Bottom