Prime Beef

Big Poppa

Administrator
The grading of meat started in the late twenties. It is a voluntary program run by the USDA. It is used to determine the sales price of various carcasses... but really is a marketing tool for the beef industry. Many believe that it is health related or mandatory grading...it is simply a way to determine relative quality and value. Prime designation is usually based on the age of the cow when slaughtered (18-24 months is ideal) and the degree of marbling, firmness, muscle color.

There are seven grades of meat but you dont usually see those grades. The hint that it is a marketing program is that the names do not imply negativity...Prime...Choice...Select. Select would imply that it was great...select right? Now there are some that get rated Top choice which is the top 15% of choice. There is Prime Plus Prime and Prime Minus. Wagyu uses a standard called BMS score from 1 to 12. US prime is a 5 on the BMS scale. The stuff that is twelve is so marbled that it looks like 95 percent fat and is a delicacy for the Japanese but is considered way to rich for our palates. THe is standard Wagyu which always exceeds US prime marbling but the next general category is Mishima which is super crazy prime. In Japan is is a 5 level grading system coupled with the BMS.

Usually Prime is the top 3 percent of cattle raised. Many people say it is the top two percent but according to a chart with the usda is can run as high as 4%.

What confounds me is that everywhere I go they advertise the meat as prime...how can every high end steak house and restaurant serve prime meat when it is only 3% of the slaughter.

TentHunter

What confounds me is that everywhere I go they advertise the meat as prime...how can every high end steak house and restaurant serve prime meat when it is only 3% of the slaughter.

I have often wondered the same thing. I think most steak houses are way overrated. We rarely ever go out for steak anymore. My wife and I have gotten to where when we want a great steak, we buy and cook it ourselves. That way we pick the steak we want instead of someone else just giving us the next steak in line.

Pete

The last 2 times we have had steak while out to eat my wife told me that when I cook at home it tastes better - I agreed.

It's amazing to see everything labeled as "prime" "choice" or "select" when they don't tell/show you what the grading pyramid looks like.

Bear

The latest marketing ploy is "certified angus" which I am told, doesn't even have to be angus beef, it just has to pass the standards.

scooter

Speaking of Big Angus Poppa, when's the BP Meat Locker going to be up and operational? I'd like to get me some of that Strube Ranch beef!!

kentucky smoke

I went to my local butcher the other day to get a prime rib. He showed me one and asked how big of a portion I wanted. I asked him to price me the entire prime rib. He said if I buy it all he’ll give it to me for $7.99 a pound. I bought it, but at that price, I doubt it’s a good quality piece of meat.. As always, you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom