Beer Can Chicken

EEman

My new MAK 1 will arrive on Wednesday and I am preparing for my first attempt - beer can chicken. I have read the recipes posted, but have a question. They all call for the chicken to be placed directly on the grill, but it seems that putting it on a small roasting pan with 1 inch sides would be OK. That way I could collect juice to make gravy.

Also, any ideas for my next dish?

Thanks,

Ed Brady

RickB

My new MAK 1 will arrive on Wednesday and I am preparing for my first attempt - beer can chicken. I have read the recipes posted, but have a question. They all call for the chicken to be placed directly on the grill, but it seems that putting it on a small roasting pan with 1 inch sides would be OK. That way I could collect juice to make gravy.

Also, any ideas for my next dish?

Thanks,

Ed Brady

Sorry to tell you but according to the Mak user agreement Pig Candy must be the first meat on your grill. Failure to follow this agreement is subject to sever penalties. Including confiscation of your Mak. Bad Juju!

MAK DADDY

LOL good one Rick :)

The pan to collect juices should work fine, mmmm gravy!
After you have your beer can chicken (maybe even at the same time) cook one breast up rubbed with a little olive oil and MAK Chipotle Rub or whatever you like. You will be amazed how juicy the bird is without the beer can fluids.
Have fun and welcome to the MAK Family!

BBQ Joe

Try the spatchcock method when you get a chance. Follow BP's video and you will have great results. It always turns out great for me. I would do some pork candy for an appetizer for your chicken. By the way, congrats on your new grill, you will love it!

sparky

Sorry to tell you but according to the Mak user agreement Pig Candy must be the first meat on your grill. Failure to follow this agreement is subject to sever penalties. Including confiscation of your Mak. Bad Juju!

couldn't have said it better myself. pig candy is always the 1st cook on all maks. read your manual. we don't want no bad juju.

scooter

BC chicken is great first cook. The only complication I see from adding a pan underneath the chicken is that it will act as sort of a heat shield and you want the heat directly on that can so it will steam quicker. I heat up the 1/2 can of beer before it goes into the chicken to extend the steam time. Block the neck hole with a chunk of onion to help keep the vapor in the chicken where it belongs instead of it escaping right out the neck hole.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I get to re kindle the argument that beer can chicken does not steam the chicken....I stand by it...Scooter swears by it and thats what make cooking so fun

jimsbarbecue

I did a beer can chicken the other day after only doing Spatchcock for awhile. I used the weber pan made for this which would be like what you are planning. It came out good and made me wonder why I waited so long to do it again. When we do a beer can chicken. I slice the breast meat off and seperate leg thighs and wings and the remaining carcass is used in making chicken broth for soup.

Meat Man

There's just something about seeing that chicken standing there tall and proud. We switched from beer (hate to waste it) to sprite or 7up we prefer that flavor. The only proublem is getting that hot can out of your chicken with burning yourself, be careful. Mostly now we just butterfly em easier to handle.

Top Bottom