MAK One Star Duroc Picnic Pics

Big Poppa

Administrator
I posted a teaser in the lounge...

This was not a competition style cook...it was a fun one

Started with a Vande Rose Farms Duroc Picnic Used Carolina Treet for the glue and then hit it with a heavy dose of Plowboys Yardbird.

Placed in the ONe Star on Smoke for an hour. Bumped the temp to 250 Foiled at color...about 178..Took it off the cooker at 195 and let it rest foiled for one hour.

No Injection and no sauce. It was fabulous...I liked the rub and bark and the Duroc is really significantly deeper and richer in flavor.
P1000096.jpg

P1000102.jpg

P1000106.jpg

P1000110.jpg

TentHunter

Wow! As if that caramelization on that bark isn't enough, the pink from the smoke ring just makes me want to swim in pork!

Big Poppa

Administrator
The Carolina treet with the butchers honey and then the plowboys was a random grabbing in the dark..it worked really well

MAK DADDY

Wow that looks moist, never smokes a picnic. I heard they are a little more ham tasting than butts is that true?

TentHunter

Wow that looks moist, never smokes a picnic. I heard they are a little more ham tasting than butts is that true?

One lesson I learned the hard way: ALWAYS read the label to be sure the picnic has not been "Enhanced." Because those have been injected with a brine that makes them taste hammy.

Otherwise, once the picnic or butt has been cooked & pulled I sure can't tell a difference. I did 50 lbs of butts & picnics in August for the marching band cookout. Nobody else seemed to notice any difference either.

But that's my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions - lol!

KyNola

That looks like just about enough for me. Where's your portion BP? Seriously good looking pig. That One Star rocks!

Big Poppa

Administrator
This is also the Vande Rose Duroc Pork..it is all natural and very fresh...they slaughter once a week and fed ex...with beef you like a controlled aging with pork the fresher the better.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I absolutely loved it. I really like two stage rubs too...the three made an excellent bark...I didnt inject or spritz....let the one star be the star.

Top Bottom