Contest Baby! Enter and pick my pockets!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Hey its starting to get dark a litle later...that means good cooking weather is just around the corner for some of you...ok a lon g way off but its going to be 80 here in the desert so Im cooking!

Lots of new members this week lets see a strong rookie turn out....you cant win anything if you dont enter

First Place $25 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $10.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers

Everybody else gets $5.00 store credit just for ordering!

TentHunter

Open Face Roast Beef Sandwiches
with
Homemade Brown Gravy

All this talk of briskets lately had me craving a good roast beef sammy. The Mrs. loves sliced roast beef & the butcher had some really nice looking roasts so I figured some hot roast beef sammies were in order.

A 5 lb. Roast seasoned with Little Louie's & Rosemary placed on a roasting rack over top a pan with onion, carrot, celery & beef stock for some Au jus.
RB-BG01.JPG

On the MAK at 275° for two hours then bumped to 325°. Pulled at an internal temp of 145° then allowed to rest uncovered & coast up to a nice medium doneness.
RB-BG02.JPG

While resting, I made a dark roux for some homemade brown gravy. Stir, stir, stir!
RB-BG03.JPG

When the roux is almost the color of chocolate, start adding the au jus, salt, pepper & more beef stock as needed. Stir, stir, stir until smooth.
RB-BG04.JPG

Slice the roast...
RB-BG05.JPG

Assemble the open face sandwich on some fresh baked bread...
RB-BG06.JPG

Top with the homemade brown gravy...
RB-BG07.JPG

What goes better with Roast Beef than Mashed Potatoes & Buttered Carrots?
RB-BG08.JPG

Craving satisfied! :)

Thanks

Chili Head

Fajita Saturday

Today I had a hankering for some fajitas Chili Head style.

The groceries..

001-8.jpg

I rubbed down a flank steak with some Mas Guapo seasoning..guaranteed to make the user a more handsome chef! And yes my picture is on their website! Smoked the flank using oak with the MAK set to high. It's darn near zero degrees in illinois today..BRRRR!

003-13.jpg

I put a skillet with some garlic EVOO on as well to get hot for the sliced onions,cilantro,green pepper and tomatoes. I put on a couple of jalapenos on to roast too.

004-12.jpg

005-9.jpg

The tomatoes went in last with a little more Mas Guapo seasoning. Things are coming along nicely.

006-13.jpg

The wheat tortillas are in the warming tray.

007-9.jpg

The veggies are done. I like a little crunch to them when there done. Dont these look good?

009-9.jpg

Continued..

Chili Head

The flank steak is done and sliced.

010-5.jpg

Let’s put it together now.
A wheat tortilla with three slices of meat, black beans, veggies, homemade pico de gallo, shredded cheese and some habanero hot sauce, avocado and a couple roasted jalapenos on the side..I'm a happy guy!

015-10.jpg

014-11.jpg

Dang these were good! I hope I made you hungry!

Last edited:

bflodan

Steak and Potatoes

Just cooked up a simple steak rubbed with a little evoo and some Little Louies with pepper... Did some chicken breasts rubbed with evoo and Desert Gold for my Wife and Son... Also par boiled some red potatoes and tossed with an herb/garlic and some asparagus with an herb butter... All on the MAK at 250

027-10.jpg

When my steak hit about 118 I pulled it and turned her up to high... Also added some garlic bread with cheese.. Seared the steak on both sides for about 2-3 min per side..

033-7.jpg

031-8.jpg

Pulled everything and added a little herb butter to the steak..

036-6.jpg

038-7.jpg

039-5.jpg

040-3.jpg

Plated

042-4.jpg

Super easy meal and the steaks are soooo good of the MAK!!

FLBentRider

Butts for Scout camping

Started with ~30lbs of pork shoulder butt:
DSC_2026.jpg

Two of them rubbed with John Henry pig rub, the other two with John Henry Pecan rub

Into the MAK @225F with BD Hickory
DSC_2027.jpg

At an IT of ~160F, I wrapped in foil. At an IT of 195-200F, I rested them about an hour, then they are ready to be pulled

DSC_2028.jpg

DSC_2029.jpg

pulled
DSC_2031.jpg

I cooled it down and refrigerated for re-heating Saturday night

It was cold out - representin' in my BP hoodie
DSC_2034.jpg

Yeah, he's excited
DSC_2038.jpg

The Mrs made "Calico beans"
DSC_2045.jpg

The pulled pork- I ran all of the foil drippings through a fat separator, and put all that liquid back in with the pork. This worked really well. The overnight rest allowed the flavors to meld very well.
DSC_2046.jpg

to be continued

FLBentRider

Buffet line, lets EAT!
DSC_2047.jpg

The meal was very well received.

I didn't get any plated pics, but we did have some special campfire entertainment, My 20YO and his glowsticks. I set the shutter to stay open 2 seconds, and this is what the camera sees:

DSC_2050.jpg

DSC_2051.jpg

DSC_2052.jpg

DSC_2053.jpg

DSC_2054.jpg

DSC_2055.jpg

DSC_2057.jpg

DSC_2058.jpg

DSC_2059.jpg

johnrrigg

Easy chicken and dressing with gravy.

View attachment 1187View attachment 1188View attachment 1189View attachment 1190View attachment 1191
pack of boneless chicken breast
1 can Campbell'slls Cream of Chicken Soup
3/4*can of water
package of Pepperidge Farm Herb Dressing
4 stalks of celery chopped
1/2 onion chopped
butter
olive oil*
Yard Bird chicken*Rub
salt/pepper to taste.
Rub both sides chicken breast with olive oil and Yard Bird Rub.* Place chicken on
smoker and cook until done.
Cube chicken and place in casserole dish. Mix the soup and water and pour over the chicken.* Prepare the stuffing. After stuffing is prepared crumble over top of the chicken mixture. Place this back on smoker for 30 minutes at 350.

sparky

mystery butt french toast

i like this alot. good flavors all around. well, it starts like this.

it was 2 - 1 at raleys. but dear, i can't buy just one. its illegal. we have to buy 2 of them. you every get that look like "fine, if you have to have them". yes dear i do....

yellow glue & plowboys jerk. the other one is mystery rub & balsamic glaze.

1mak1087.jpg

look how the balsamic gives it that great color. the smell of good aged balsamic on pork. oh la la.

1mak1093.jpg

1st butt

1mak1100.jpg

2nd one.

1mak1102.jpg

put them down for a long nap on #336. 2 hours of smoke then 225° for the duration of the cook.

good morning buddies. your looking good.

mysterybutt004.jpg

what time it is? apple juice time. 1/4 cup.

mysterybutt010.jpg

normally i put my butts in a little ice chest. the whole inside ice chest sweats. i wanted the butt to just do its thing at the temp it wants to hang. so i put them in the oven and let them rest for 1 hour or so.

mysterybutt014.jpg

this is the jerk butt pulled.

mysterybutt018.jpg

this is the mystery butt pulled (my favorite).

mysterybutt019.jpg

my one neighbor made some apricot syrup (my fav) and my other neighbor made some bbq sauce. so. i toasted some wheat bread. butter w/ the bbq sauce. piled high w/ mystery butt. a little bbq sauce ane then a strong drizzle of apricot syrup.

Waa Laa

mystery butt french toast

mysterybutt034.jpg

this was von da pa. 1st class fixin's. my wife and daughter finely had a plate. they said it was weird but tasted good.

Last edited:

smokerjoe

Seafood Gumbo & Cinnamon Rolls

Since I've never made gumbo before I figured first time should be on the MAK. :)

The ingredients
P1060699.JPG

P1060720.JPG

Prep Time
P1060729.JPG

P1060728.JPG

P1060731.JPG

P1060710.JPG

P1060732.JPG

Cook'n the bacon
P1060714.JPG

Next was to make the roux, it was supposed to get darker but don't know what I did wrong never made it before either. I stirred it for over 30mins.
P1060717.JPG

smokerjoe

Add some stuff
P1060722.JPG

More stuff added
P1060739.JPG

P1060740.JPG

I started these the night before as they need to rise, and then cooked them in the morning before the gumbo. This is my kind of baking as you just use frozen dinner rolls. Add in some butter, sugar, and vanilla pudding mix and that's about it.

P1060671.JPG

P1060675.JPG

P1060677.JPG

P1060688.JPG

P1060697.JPG

Scallywag

Smoked Chicken and rice soup with Pork tenderloin and wild rice. Sorry for the lack of pics but its been a crazy week. It started like this... Friday night I smoked 6 chicken legs with back attached for 6 hours seasoned with Desert Gold. Let them chill overnight and threw the into a pot of water the next day with some bay leaves and peppercorns... let them all simmer together for a few hours.. strained the stock and pulled all the meat from the bones. Threw some celery.. carrots and onions into a pan with a big pat of butter..

Scallywag

Next came the meat... pork tenderloin used garlic evoo for glue. Some rib tickeler and wanted to try some rib candy to finish.

veggies are almost done...

Pork is ready.. man it smells good!!!

All plated up... I am amazed at how the smoke flavor worked itself into the soup.. pork had a nice sweet flavor with a bit of a kick as well

Thanks for looking!!

Last edited:

CarterQ

Crab stuffed Salmon

Been on a fish kick here at the Carter house this past week so today I decided to give stuffed salmon a whirl.

Here we go-

Started with a couple of filets and ran a slit down the center for the stuffing

6f162fa9.jpg

Made the stuffing with crab meat, parsley, garlic, lemon and salt and pepper

8fab2a86.jpg

Stuffed the fish

49cae276.jpg

Onto the MAK running at 275 to get a little smokiness

9465339c.jpg

While the salmon is cooking steamed up some artichokes, halved them and hit them with some garlic EVOO and a little Desert Gold. (there should have been four halves but one decided to end it all and jump off the counter)

8d6d200f.jpg

Crank the MAK to 400 to finish off the Salmon and grill the chokes

f667af47.jpg

Salmon is ready

bae6c0f1.jpg

Chokes looking good

77509479.jpg

Dinner is served

170bb7c8.jpg

MossyMO

Very nice looking meals this week by everyone and making a decision was difficult, but here goes:

3rd place - TentHunter - Open Face Roast Beef Sandwiches with Homemade Brown Gravy
2nd place - Chili Head - Fajita Saturday
1st place - johnrrigg - Easy chicken and dressing with gravy

All entree's were top notch and thanks for sharing!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Wow nice cooks I thinik that Mossy doesnt like seafood...hahahahaha thqt gumbo and crab stuffed salmon looked hard to beat!

TentHunter

Congrats to all! Marty, that judges hot seat's not an easy seat to sit in!

I love the diversity of this week's cooks. A nice variety. That seafood gumbo had me going and french toast topped with pulled pork.. I'm trying that!

Thanks again BP for the contest!

CarterQ

I'm with Cliff, a great diversity of cooks this week and everything looked great. Congrats to all the winners!

Top Bottom