Hey Pete1 Happy Birthday!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Pete turns thirty! ahh thirty...the pinnacle....enjoy it sneeze and you are 40.....

Any of you in Petes neck of the woods drop in Di Baldo Music and get some of his moms meatballs!

Pete

Thanks! I've got some last-minute Memphis grates and multi-tool arriving today, and tomorrow's chicken is marinating in white sauce. I'm not sure what exactly I'm cooking for dinner but it will certainly be beef!

Pete

Hey THANKS all! Sorry no updates yesterday, I was out in the morning helping a friend on some errands, then had a 70th surprise party for my friend's father at 1, followed by a wake for another friend's dad. BUSY WEEKEND.

Saturday we had around 50-60 people at my place and things got so busy that when I finally remembered to take pics the majority of the food was gone.

FOOD REVIEWS:

Ziti - homerun (for ziti)
Hot wings - good, could have used a slightly hotter sauce.
Swedish meatballs - gave me a belly-ache and caused massively tasteful burps on Sunday (that's how I know it was the meatballs)
Fruit salad - good
Pasta salad - great (wife cooked it so i have to say that)

Nick's buffalo chili was fantastic and got rave reviews! Up here we have beans in our chili

Marble-cake was wonderful.

STORY TIME/babble

8 racks of baby backs turned out great, smoked for 7 hours at 250, I put them on at 10am and we started munching at 5:30. I did 2 racks each with Blues Hog, Yardbird, Hasty Bake, Pete's Firehouse. The Firehouse was my favorite. It was cold enough outside (40*) that the Memphis didn't achieve complete pellet burn so when I ramped it up to 350 to cook the lion it suddenly overheated at 625* and the pellets in the chute were burning. I had a MASSIVE pellet over-run on top of a whole burn box full of partially burned pellets. I had cleaned and vacuumed out the box that morning so I'm guessing it was the outside temp and wind causing the avalanche. Unplug, open grill, let burn out and cool, then clean burn box again. At this point it was 7:00pm so I said screw the lion roast, rabbit, and the raccoon, I don't want to still be cooking at 9-10pm. Grabbed the ostrich burgers and bear steaks and threw them on the Memphis at 450 and did 7 minutes a side. After cooking I cut them into small pieces and they were toothpick treats for everyone to sample. No rub, just meat. Ostrich was good but nothing special probably because I should have done 5 min a side - it was somewhat dry and tasted like a turkey burger (imagine that). The bear steaks had the fat trimmed off before cooking (set the fat on top), and tasted like a juicy well-done steak with a slightly darker stronger meat flavor. At this point I remembered I also had a pound of ground lion meat, so I formed that into patties and tossed it on for 10min/side at 450. Grand slam.
The lion was king of the jungle and king of the exotics.

Other highlights - Pete DuBaldo (the one without hair) showed up early in the day on his way to a party in Rhode Island
Pharmacy staff showed up (from my old job) and had a blast.
Around 10pm my brother-in-law lost his wedding ring outside which fell off his finger due to the cold (this was ring #2, first one destroyed his clothes-washer). He should have been standing closer to the fire pit!
Neighbors began to trickle in at 11pm, party kept going strong until the daylight savings time change.

Just found 2 pics of the ribs on my phone, will try to upload!

Pete

Sorry for cellphone pics!

Smoked 7 hours 250* on Memphis Pro with half apple & half mesquite

Plowboys on left, blues hog on right
Plowboys.jpg

Hastybake on left, Firehouse on right
Firehouse.jpg

Top Bottom