Turkey

jafrey711

Yes brine very important. Thinking of stuffing mine with peppercorn bacon, onion, bell peppers and garlic cloves. Not sure about the rub yet.

sparky

why do ya'll brine? is it better. and brine means soaking turkey in salt water? 1 hour, 6 hours or overnight? like the way bp does it on his video. easy.

dmarotta

Mak daddy, please elaborate on the brining process. I have a large group coming for Thanksgiving and I need to show off the General.

TentHunter

Sparky is dead on about BP's way being easy. (if you haven't seen the video there's a link in the main forum page to the BP cooking videos.)

Brining is good too; a lot of knowledgeable folks swear by it.

I'm hooked on spatchcocked chicken, so this year I'm gonna try spatchcocking the turkey & see how it comes out.

Last edited:

Ssteppe

Brining overnight makes for a much juicier turkey. There are various brining recipes, but basically, use 1 cup of salt per gallon of water, plus whatever additions you want. I add a couple of bay leaves, some whole peppercorns, and real maple syrup. Instead of maple syrup, you could use brown sugar. Sometimes, I add chunks of cut orange, garlic, etc.
Lots of variations - create your own. Hard to go wrong as long as you start with the salt water.

I brine my Christmas turkey in a turkey frying pot and leave it in my uninsulated garage (as long as the garage temp is below 40°.) Otherwise, put it in an oven roasting bag, seal well, and put in fridge, turning every few hours.

kupua

Yes, I agree fully! I basically do the same. My amounts/ingredients vary each year and based on what I have in the pantry and what I desire at the time.

Top Bottom