"Surprise"

Meat Man

Signed up for the Surprise BBQ Festival in Arizona at the first of the month. It will be the second competition for us, and a good run thru before the ACM Throwdown at the end of March in Las Vegas. We met some great folks at Havasu in January, and we are looking forward to seeing them again. The truth is I just want to do another BBQ competition, that was so much fun! You guys and gals who haven't done a comp yet, go out there and do it! You have nothing to loose, and you'll meet some fantastic people who are passionate about BBQ, like yourselves.

Last edited:

Meat Man

Heading out in the morning. Looking forward to seeing BP and the gang again. Looks to be a fun competition with about 34 teams, and the weather looks like it's going to be great. Safe travels.

Meat Man

Isn't it funny how things go. We had tough chicken, so- so ribs, killer pork butt, got to use the fire extinguisher today (that was exciting) right in front of he fire marshall. But the best part was a really sweet brisket cook, only to be out done by a $1.99 pastry brush. Two comment cards with notations about hair in our brisket box. Well live and learn and stay away from those $1.99 pastry brushes, they'll kill ya.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ahhhh Meat...the harsh realities of comp bbq....Nice pork!

When is your next cook?

You will get to the point where nothing but GC makes you happy....its sick.

We got HAMMERED at Havasu for what was our chicken....lowest score we have ever ever gotten... So much so that I think the box got remarked seriously...this week we turn in the same chicken...3rd....havasu we turn in really good ribs and get fourth...yesterday really strong ribs...we are pumped! 21st......go figure

The only saving grace is at the end of the year you end up where you belong....We dont like 9th...but we look at having a 3rd in the bank and a seventh in brisket for the season long stats....

I do have a large bone to pick with the judging system....we get mostly 9's in chicken....one guy gives us a 677....I can handle that but no comment card? I also believe that when the table captain looks at this and one guy was soo different than the rest of the table that he or she should be talked to....Any judge that gives you a 6 and doesnt leave a comment card should no longer be a judge. ON the flip side someone who judges way over the table....

Meat Man

Chicken and even ribs if your mixing slabs, I could see how maybe one piece isn't right or possibly as good as the others. We'er still pretty green and have alot to learn. We will be heading to Vegas at the end of the month with two competitions under our belt and some very important lessons learned.
Our one star caught on fire at 11:15 Sat morning. While our ribs and chicken were cooking away on the 2 star, it could have been much worse, we got it all turned in. As far as judging goes, does anyone really ever understand why. Honestly a 6 in appearance, that just don't make no sense.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom