Relighting the grill

EEman

i cooked a pork butt yesterday -- my first. It turned out great, but I had a problem along the way. I was close to the end of the cook watching the temps when the grill temp started falling. I looked in the hopper and there were still plenty of pellets, but they did not slide down to the auger. I pushed them down the sides and waited. What I did not know was if the fire would relight. Would there be enough embers in there? Does the pellet boss know to reactivate the igniter? Anyway, the fire came back one way or another and the temp went back up in a few minutes. One lesson learned is to check those pellets even if there is a supply left.

What is the proper procedure to relight if this happens again? Probably it won't since I'll be more attentive, but just in case.

Thanks,

Ed Brady
Colorado Springs
MAK 1

MAK DADDY

Hi Ed, we have tested that into the ground and not had pellets hang up (with the exception of when its nearly empty anyway). Must have just had all the stars align :)
Yes, the Pellet Boss will relight on its own if it detects the fire has gone out. It will attempt the relight 3 times before shutting down the grill and alarming.

EEman

Thanks. Just what I needed to know. I know the hopper is a great design and I am not surprised that you built in the relight feature just in case. I'm having fun here!

EDB

Top Bottom